Finishing Basement, Need to run HVAC

Old 12-08-08, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing Basement, Need to run HVAC

I am finishing off my basement. Obviously, all of my HVAC is located down there and will be in a separate room. What I am going to have is 1) A bathroom 2) A SMALL bedroom (9 x 10) and an 3) entertainment room (25 x 13).

The venting wasn't really put in, in the basement. There are, however, two vents already put in. One would be in the ceiling of the bathroom and one in the ceiling of the bedroom.

Couple of questions:

Do I need return air vents in all 3 rooms?
If so...
Can I just tap into existing return air ducts in the joists and bring them down to near the floor?

I need to bring at least one heating/ac vent into the entertainment room. I am assuming I can't just branch off of any existing vent pipe...is there a certain area of the HVAC I can branch off from?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-08, 06:20 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No return in the bath room! One small return should be fine for the basement. You never tap into a line that is running to a grille. That line should be designed to bring the correct amount of air to that room. Tapping into it will reduce the air for that room. Always come off the main trunk. Is your unit sixed to handle the exyra air needed to heat and cool these areas.

Old 12-09-08, 06:53 AM
Finishing Basement.

Thank you for the information! Yes my unit is plenty big to handle the additional vents/returns.

Can I tap into an existing return air duct? Or does that have to come from the main as well?

I was thinking the small bedroom would need a
small return air as well but you don't think so? My thought was that it is so small and will be insulated (for soundproofing) so well that I would need to circulate that air somehow. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Dan

Old 12-09-08, 02:30 PM
Both supply and return should go back to the main. Basements should be fine with only a small common return.

Old 12-09-08, 04:07 PM
Thanks!

Thank you very much. I am going to try to tackle this in the next week or so.

In the larger room..would you suggest two supply ducts or is one enough? It seems pretty cozy down there already...

Old 12-09-08, 06:17 PM
Only way to know is to do a heat load on the room

Old 12-11-08, 05:46 AM
One Last question

It seems I have several "mains" coming off of the furnace/blower. Is there a primary main?

I am pretty sure I can't come off of any of the round ductwork as all of these lead directly to vents. However, there are two square ducts (both are supply) that come off the unit...can I tap into either of these?

Thanks again,
Dan

Old 11-30-10, 10:05 AM
Well, I am finally getting around to this. Basically, life happened. Anyways, I know that I have to branch off of a main trunk but is there a limit to the amount of them I can do? This trunk already has 4 pipes off of it running to grills. I need to get two more off of it, if possible?