smelly return air vent

Old 12-29-08, 11:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy smelly return air vent

Recently had to look into our return air duct in spare bedroom
of our house, and noticed that builders ran upstairs return vents inbetween studs/drywall and thru 1st floor dry wall and finally hit metal air ducts in the basement. (Is this normal practice?) This particular spare bedroom always had a musty type old smell, but now after having to inspect the duct area for something else (possible wiring), it is the duct area! When air/furnace is not on, a musty noticable smell is coming out (3 bedrooms eventually connect to same duct in basement, only spare bedroom has this strong smell, but this bedroom seems to have a straight vertical shot down to vent, unless is accessable to other openings in between drywall that I could not see). Not something that hits you when furnace turns off, only after furnace is turned down and is off for awhile can you smell it. Doesn't smell like a dead animal (i guess). Had vents professionally cleaned by a company with this Monster vacuum year or so ago, not for the smell (which was there, just not near as noticable to me as now) just to clean them.
Any advise would be appreciated. Can old wood studs smell bad??

Old 12-30-08, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure why the moderator put your post in the electrical forum, but here goes. I would naturally look for any event of moisture. Is there any near your air handler? Is the drain pan for the a coil dry? Have you poured bleach down the drain trap at the air handler once a month? Most likely it is left over water standing under the a coil from the summer and it just hasn't drained yet. Remove the cover on the air handler and check it out. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 01-01-09, 11:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Chandler, thanks for your advise, I could not get access to coils (above electronic pilot, area is sealed), air blower area is clean, pulled out air filter (spaceguard 2200) and both sides of unit were clean/ no smell either. If you had any other advise for me that would be great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: