Gas furnace air exhaust vent requirements

Old 02-02-09, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace air exhaust vent requirements

Hello
I would like to add additional length of exhast vent pipe to my current vent pipe from my gas furnance. My thoughts are to have more pipe exposed to my (laundry) room so that the heat from the pipe will help heat the room. Is this a good/safe thing to do?
Details:
The current exhast pipe comes out of the funance and goes straight up for about three feet, then elbow ~95 degrees and then goes nearly vertical for about three feet before it elbows again going straight up through the ceiling and then through the attic on up through the roof. This all is 3" pipe. It becomes "double" pipe just before it goes through the ceiling in the laundry room.
I would like to add some section of pipe so that it becomes something like this. Out of the furnance into an elbow, then three feet of pipe, then elbow, 6inch of pipe, then elbow, then thee feet of pipe, then elbow. then 6 inch of pipe, then elbow and then connecting into the ceil pipe. (This all would make some S's in the pipe,) I would make sure this pipe is not level but angling upward for the gases to go upward and then on out.
I am trying to help heat this room by adding more exhast pipe that gets very warm while the furnance is running and I want to have some of that heat used to heat the room instead of going out the roof. I definately do NOT want any gas escapiing into the room, just heat from the pipe.
Am I accomplishing my goal safely?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-09, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't you just tap into the warm air plenum and add a louvered vent, one that you can close off when it's not needed, that's what I usually do for my customers.
Granted, the vent pipe lets off some heat but you can have only so many elbows and feet of vent pipe before you restrict the vent blower and either shorten it's lifespan or backup carbon monoxide into the room.