Duct fans and other possible fixes for cold room

Old 02-09-09, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct fans and other possible fixes for cold room

Hi, I have a 2800 sq ft home and one bedroom on the 2nd floor is too cold. The problem is the room gets little sun in the winter. Also, the duct for that room is at the end of the main trunk, farthest from the furnace. The room gets some heat coming out of the register, just not enough. I've already used foil tape to seal all the duct connections in the basement that I can access. This is hard because much of the basement ceiling in drywalled.

I saw these little 6" duct fans that I thought might boost the airflow to this room. Do these work?

The other idea I had was to close the dampers on the two other ducts that come off the main trunk opposite the duct to the cold bedroom. There are actually three ducts coming off of the same area (both sides and the top of the main trunk). One goes to the cold bedroom, one goes to the den, and the other to the living room. Both the living room and den have TWO registers/ducts, so closing one would probably be okay. I already closed one of the dampers, but the other one is broken (handle snapped right off). I'm not sure what's involved with fixing that. It seems like getting that damper closed would boost air to the cold bedroom.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 07:08 AM
What type of heating system do you have? Is there a return air vent in this room?

Old 02-09-09, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
What type of heating system do you have? Is there a return air vent in this room?
Forced air gas furnace. Yep, there's a return for every room in the house except kitchen and bathrooms. House is 10 years old.

Old 02-09-09, 07:54 AM
Ok well Ive had the same issue with my house but its a 1930's house with no insulation in the walls. Well anyways with my forced air (oil) furnace I did that exactly seal as best as you can all the joints with proper duct tape.. then check around the furnace itself for leaks such as when its on hold a little piece of insulation or something very light and see if it moves as it nears the furnace for any leaks... ( and tape as needed) next check the furnace filter making sure its clean and has been changed in the last 3 months assuming its fine... next adjusting the dampers.. For me I have my furnace only heating my upstairs on the basement suite so all suite vents are closed... and then starting with the closest heating ducts to the furnace close them about 80% then the next like 60% and so on. But leave your cold room open. Also if you have registers with the adjustable vents make sure they are blowing into the room and not towards the wall...

If this only partly helps now you can either get a furnace guy to check your furnace or check the inside such as fan and make sure its dust free.

For me Im tearing out all my walls in my cold room to insulate everything and then adding more in my attic this summer.. so hopefully this help a bit... good luck

Old 02-09-09, 08:54 AM
I had a similar situation with a room that had a very long run from the furnace. It was cold when the furnace was on, and hot when the air conditioning was on.

I installed a 6" duct fan like you mentioned, and was pleased with the outcome. It didn't totally fix the problem, but made the room much more comfortable.

Old 02-09-09, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the information.

I have already sealed all the leaks on the furnace as suggested, but that is a good idea for others.

Now, about adjusting the dampers 80%, 60%, etc. The furnace is in the middle of the basement, with trunk lines headed out in both directions. Do I adjust only the dampers on the side with the cold room, or will doing it on both sides of the furnace make more sense?

As far as adding a duct fan (that will be my last resort), do they make a lot of noise? I have a model made by Suncourt. Also, did you wire it into your furnace so that it comes on automatically?

Old 02-09-09, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
When a home is built and when a home needs a new furnace a heat load must be done on the home to determine how much air is needed to heat and cool the home. This is called a manual J. I would have this done and have the correct size duct installed to heat and cool this room.

Old 02-11-09, 06:26 AM
The duct fan I used was called a "Robin Hood" or something like that. I only remember because it said something along the lines that it robbed heat from wealthy rooms and gave it to the poor rooms.

In my setup the furnace duct went across the basement and then 2 stories up an outside wall. When the furnance blower was on you could barely feel air coming out of the vent in the room. I installed the duct fan in the basement, just before the duct went into the wall, and wired it to the furnace to only turn on when the furnace blower was on. After installation there was a fair amount of air coming out of the vent in the room.

It made a small amount of noise but not enough to be annoying. You could only hear it when you were near the fan. I didn't notice any noise in the room itself.