cold air falling out of ceiling cold air return

Old 03-09-09, 11:04 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cold air falling out of ceiling cold air return

Hello.

We bought a house new construction in 2007. The master bedroom has two heat outlets in the floor on one side of the room and the cold air return is in the ceiling on the other side of the room. This cold air return is sized 12" x 12" and right over our bed!! My problem is now that at times cold air seems to be "falling" out of this vent, making it uncomfortable sleeping conditions and causing me to wake up with dry eyes and/or throat. (The system has humidifiers and we do have a hygrometer, it is not too dry in the room.) Unfortunately we cannot move our bed, the bedroom is laid out in such a way that there is only one solution possible, right underneath this vent. I started noticing this draft only in the winter for the obvious reasons and initially it did not bother me as much. However this year it is bad, and I have to pull up the blankets way up in order not to feel it. As I mentioned before it does not seem to be happening all the time. Is this something that can be corrected? Has it maybe to do with the fact that there is a discrepancy in heat distribution between the master bedroom and the three kids bedrooms. The thermostat for the upstairs heat zone is in the master bedroom and with bedroom doors closed the kids rooms heat up far too much, therefore I have to close the heat outlets almost entirely in these rooms.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

thx, Gwendolyn

Old 03-13-09, 07:41 PM
T
Find your fresh air damper, it is likely the culprit. It brings in air to replace air that is exhausted from the house. If it attaches to the return duct near the master bedroom, it could be the cause. If you have a master bath in the bedroom zone it may be at a negative pressure after using the bath fan thus pulling in outiside air.

Old 03-13-09, 08:31 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Most homes do not have a fresh air duct! Id turn the fan to on this will even out the temps and keep the air from falling out the return grille. Turn it back to auto in the cooling mode.

Old 03-15-09, 07:55 PM
T
Most homes do not have a fresh air duct!

It has been code here for over ten years for residential construction to have fresh air.

Old 03-16-09, 11:46 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
No code here! When in doubt check your local codes!

Old 03-17-09, 03:17 PM
G
Actually, someone suggested to me that because the duct is located in the attic, the air returning to the furnace might cool off too fast and therefore might waterfall back thru the cold air return. One solution might be to insulate the duct in the attic. I will try that and otherwise maybe an automatic damper in the cold air return might be a solution?

Any thoughts?

thx, Gwendolyn

Old 03-20-09, 07:58 PM
T
Insulating a duct is always a good thing.

Old 03-20-09, 08:04 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gschoenmakers View Post
Actually, someone suggested to me that because the duct is located in the attic, the air returning to the furnace might cool off too fast and therefore might waterfall back thru the cold air return. One solution might be to insulate the duct in the attic. I will try that and otherwise maybe an automatic damper in the cold air return might be a solution?

Any thoughts?

thx, Gwendolyn
If your duct work is located in attic it should always be insulated, dont want to say code but it is. If they have not put insulated ducts in attic it was done wrong. Sometimes ducts are insulated on inside.

Old 03-27-09, 02:55 PM
G
Thanks for your responses.

I went up and checked. The air ducts in the attic are indeed insulated, so I will probably see whether I can have an automatic damper installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: