Basement Vent Installation

Old 03-10-09, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Basement Vent Installation

I recently bought a home with a finished basement. There are two vents in the unfinished/utility area, but no vents in the finished area. Can I simply tap off the main trunk line and add two vents to the finished area? Do I need to block off the other vents to minimize the impact? Also, the home has two return vents, one on the first floor and another on the second. Should I add one in the basement as well, or leave the current setup as is? I removed the door from the basement stairway, but am not sure if the basement air is making it up to the first floor for recirculation. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-09, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Do you have a ceiling down there ??? Can you put runs in the joist to just off the outside walls??. A return down there will help out a lot. With that door off any heat you have down there will just go upthe stairs on you. Id say put it back. Any heat you do let out down there will help warm the floor and you will feel better up stairs.

Old 03-11-09, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. We took the door off initially because it opened up the house a bit, which we like. Yes, it is possible to run ductwork between the joists to just off the outside wall, which is what I intended to do. Reason I asked about the return vent is because I didn't want to disrupt the original configuration, but if you think it would be better, then I will go ahead and do it. This isn't going to put more of a load on the unit is it? Why do you think a return wasn't originally installed in the basement when the home was built? Do you think it is because it was an unfinished area and too much dust/dirt would get sucked in?

Old 03-13-09, 07:02 PM
Should I put a return vent in the basement? If so, how large should it be? If I put a return vent in the basement, won't the heat run longer because it's sucking in cold air from the basement? This would be beneficial during the summer, but not during the winter.