Bathroom Vents Leaking Water

Old 04-16-09, 05:21 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Vents Leaking Water

Hello,
My issue is during winter months we get a lot of water leaking from our bathroom vents. I finally determined the issue to be the vents are on the north side of the house and during our many blizzards we have in the winter snow blows in the vents and packs in there and eventually melts leaking into the house.

My question is, i am thinking about doing one of the two things. First, I am thinking of sealing these 2 vents on the north side and cutting a new vent in the side of my house out the east side. If i do this, one of the vents is directly in line with the other vent i am having issues with. Could i put a y in there to join the 2 vents to the single vent on the side of my house?

Secondly, it has also crossed my mind to leave the vents where they are. My idea is to simply coil the piping in the attic to create a trap of sorts trapping the snow blows in. The snow could pool in these traps is my concern and wanted to see what people though of this. Is this a better idea?

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-16-09, 05:38 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The vent should have a damper on it to keep wind, snow, and rain out of it. But let me say I don't like to vent out the roof. I feel it is just another problem. HD has vents the come out of the soffit. I just added two to my 1960s home. Buy Fantech UEV4 Soffit Vent for 3-5 inch duct | Fantech UEV4

Old 04-16-09, 06:00 AM
O
Thanks for the reply.

This has been a learning experience that is for sure and I will never put them on the north side of my house again and would probably refrain, like you, from putting them on the roof to begin with. it hasn't been a pleasant situation. Floor soaked, sheetrock soaked, wife ticked.
Anyway, I think I may have some issue in getting access to a sofit to put this in. I will have to take a peak again this weekend.
You are right in that there is a damper and on both vents, well all 3 actually (2 on north one on south) I can hear them flap up and down when it gets windy here. Which is about 5 out of the 7 days a week.

Old 04-16-09, 09:43 AM
M
The vent piping should slope downward toward the damper. That way, any condensation or other water will drain out and not back into your bathroom.

Old 04-16-09, 10:38 AM
O
md2lgyk I am not sure i follow. Currently, the damper unit is on the roof so am not able to slop the vent piping back out.

Old 04-16-09, 11:58 AM
G
Do not coil the ducts in the attic, as that will lead to mold growth in them.

Roof terminations are 10-15% more efficient in removing bathroom air, than soffit ones(warm, moist air rises).

Use staight pipe, plastic or metal, well insulated. Not flex, which has 2-3 times as much surface area to trap moisture.

If pipe is not self-supporting, use 2 screws, installed on the sides, not bottom, at each joint.

Silver tape, not duct (5 year life), all joints, including each elbow section. Insulate the pipe, you don't want the moisture to condense on the sides. Insulate the fan box, and caulk around ceiling/box gap.

Use a timer switch for 1/2 hour after shower.

Some fans are designed to draw up to 4 separate locations, exhaust out one. Very pricy. I would move the roof vent to the leeward side, as you said.

Be safe, GBAR

Old 04-16-09, 12:34 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Olson,
Have you completed your sauna or steam shower and checked your RH. With poorly insulated flex duct and a vertical run in the attic, you will have condensation. Just double checking to be sure snow is the issue.

Bud

Old 04-16-09, 12:51 PM
O
Hey Bud9051. Good hearing from you.

No, i haven't finished that yet. Also, that is located in the basement.

how i know it is the snow is that we had an active blizzard winter this year. The last time this happened (about a month ago) it was about 10 in the evenining and i heard it dripping as it usually does and then find a pile of water on the floor. I went into the attic pretty upset as the sheetrock around these 2 units gets absolutely soaking wet and looks as though it could fall down. I tore the ducting off. I kind of tossed the vent aside in frustration to have some snow shoot out the end. Seeing that i tried sticking my hand up the vent to pull a tremendous amount of snow out. i would guess it was full upwards of around 6 feet into the venting.

My contractor said that here in ND they are to lay the venting on the sheetrock for about 5 feet. Bury that pipe then with the blown fiberglass that is in the attic. It then would go up to the stack on the roof. I really don't understand why. Maybe something to do with leaking cold air possibly and if you let it lay on the sheetrock for that far then that helps minimize this. no clue.

when windy I can hear what i believe is that flap opening and closing up there as it clicks.

Anyway, that is how i made the determination it was the snow. Once I got all of out of the pipe it quick leaking until the next storm that is.

Old 04-16-09, 01:11 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Since snow is clearly a problem, I would look for a different roof vent. It's not like you are the first to use one in snow country. I've seen weather vain styles that rotate with the wind, round ones, or complex hooded designs.
Here is a vertical style:Roof Venting|roof vents|roof venting|ridge vents|attic ventilation

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: