ductwork leak in between floors ?

Old 01-21-10, 12:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ductwork leak in between floors ?

hello,

i just got a new hvac system replaced and it's a downflow system and it sits in the garage. we have a 2 story home with an return air on the 2nd floor. now the problem is that there's basically really weak airflow on the 2nd floor but i was told that the new system should have enough power to push the air up. now the contractor told me that there's a possibility that there's a leak in the ductwork in between the fllors so that's why the air can't be delivered to the 2nd floor. and they told me that there's nothing they can do if that's the case. is that true? and they said that they'd have to take down the walls if i had to be fixed which they can't do because they dont know where the leak is?

Thank you !

Old 01-21-10, 02:20 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Low air flow in 99% of the time is do to duct work not sized correctly. Your contractor should have done a heat load on the home and should know what size the duct should be going up stairs. I would first check the size of the duct. But yes most likely to fix the issue the wall will have to come down.

Old 01-21-10, 03:01 PM
F
Originally Posted by airman.1994
Low air flow in 99% of the time is do to duct work not sized correctly. Your contractor should have done a heat load on the home and should know what size the duct should be going up stairs. I would first check the size of the duct. But yes most likely to fix the issue the wall will have to come down.

thanks for the reply. i dont think he ran any additional ductwork other than what was already there? The house is about 20 yrs old and the new system that we got is 3.5ton for 1600sq home. So would fixing the duct inside the wall or under the floor normally be something that's part of the furnace/AC installation? or should it be considered as an additional job?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-10, 03:44 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi flymeaway, before you tear anything out, there are tests to confirm duct leakage, the size of the leak, and approximate location. Then there are cameras that can probe the ducts and possible confirm any disconnect. AND he should be aware of all of these options. Since he is not suggesting them, I would be concerned that "he" may be at fault and doesn't want you to know.

Airman can help you with the technical stuff, but if the need to confirm a leaky duct is still there, it can be done.

Bud

Old 01-21-10, 07:24 PM
Fixing the duct would not normally be part of an install. But contractor would have had to do a heat load to know what size equipment you would need. With that info he would know what size the duct work should be going up stairs.

Old 01-22-10, 09:17 AM
F
thank you all for your help. i talked to the contractor and they'll come out and take a look. he said that since they can't access the ductwork there's not much they can do unless we hire another contractor to tear out the floor..i think they calculated the load based on the sq ft of the house.

Old 01-22-10, 11:09 AM
Can't calculate the load by square feet! You calculate it by a room to room measurement of rooms, windows,insulation, and direction of the home. This would be one of the main ways to pick a good contractor. At this point I would spend the money to have a good contractor come out do a load on the home and check all of the jack legs work to make sure you get the most efficient and dependable unit you can. A good install can save up to 40% on energy cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: