Attic Fan Thermostat Placement

Old 08-19-10, 07:19 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Attic Fan Thermostat Placement

I'm replacing an attic fan motor and thermostat for a neighbor, and was wondering if it makes a difference where the thermostat is located. I would like to install it near the attic access to make it easily accessible. Is this ok to do? Reason I ask is because most attic fans I have seen have the thermostat located only a foot or two from the fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The fan is normally located at a higher point to evacuate the hottest air. Also that higher point takes advantage of natural ventilation.

The stats normally don't go that low either as I remember. Something like 90 or so is the low limit isn't it? I'd think you'd want it to start running as soon as the hottest part of the attic reached your setpoint. My house here can easily have a 20 degree diff between the peak and the access panel area.

If you want to be able to turn it off in the winter...a switch near the access would be best.

Old 08-19-10, 02:01 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The thermo that is currently in his attic goes down to 60, for whatever reason, and as high as 120. The fan is mounted on the roof, and I was just wondering if mounting the thermo near the access would be ok. After all, the temperature of the air nearest the ceiling is what you're concerned about, not the air at the peak (right?)