Range hood & blower question

Old 10-15-10, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Range hood & blower question

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new range hood. The one I currently have is just a canopy - the previous owners took the external blower with them when they left - and it is an eyesore.

I have a number of questions and, sadly, I'm apparently not googling the right words to find answers.

First off, my range is 36" with 5 gas burners in an island. I have appx. 56" between the top of the range and the ceiling. I'd like the hood to sit no lower than 27" above the range.
  1. How many CFMs do I want? I've been looking at 900CFM or so - does that sound OK, or should I be looking higher? I'd like to have enough oomph to be sure my house doesn't stink on the rare occasions I sear or cook something greasy.
  2. If a hood comes with a chimney that has it sitting lower than 27", is it OK to simply shorten the chimney by cutting off any excess?

Okay.... next topic: blower types. Inline vs internal vs external blower. It seems like the biggest difference is noise. Is that true?

From a roofwork/ducting perspective, since the house used to have an external blower, is it wisest to go with the same this time around?
  1. If I go with external, is it just a matter of installing the blower onto the current vent opening on the roof?
  2. If I don't go with an external, I assume it will be necessary to properly cover the vent opening. (The vent opening is, currently, a square metal box in the roof with a wood insert with a circular hole in it, through which - I assume - the blower was attached to the ductwork.)

Finally - is it necessary to purchase the hood and blower at the same time from the same folks? For example, if I were to get a hood from Zephyr, do I have to use their blowers, or can I shop around? Can I, for example, buy a Zephyr hood and a Broan blower?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Shalie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-10, 06:14 PM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Hi Shalie, sorry no advice on the questions you posted, just some additional information on big exhaust fans. If you have a gas heating system or gas water heater or other vented combustion device, 900cfm has the potential along with bath fans and dryer to backdraft an exhaust vent. If you are all electric you are all set. If you have vented combustion appliances, you can have an energy auditor come in and conduct a combustion zone worst case test. Just a heads up. Somewhere in the instructions with those big fans they try to give a mild warning, but who reads the instructions before they take it home .

Bud

Old 10-15-10, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bud!! The only 'vented combustion device' (I like that phrase) I have in my home, besides the cooker, is my clothes dryer (located about 10' from where the hood will be), which has a vent that goes about 8" before it is outside. Still a concern?

And the danger to the backdrafting is.... pulling CO into the house, I assume?

Read the directions before taking it home? Shoot... I'll be lucky to read the instructions during installation!

Thanks again - I probably wouldn't have thought of/considered that!
-Shalie

Old 10-16-10, 03:35 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
In the north east country we burn a lot of oil for heat and with the new tighter homes, replacement air becomes a concern. Whole house fans and these huge range hoods can require more outside air than can typically leak in through all of the cracks and crevices. Since a gas dryer is a powered vent there is less chance it would have a problem against the hood and being so close it is easy to know when both are running. Probably ok.

As energy efficiency requirements increase, issues like this will increase as well. I love to cook so my mouth is watering at the thought of some indoor grilling, hmmm!

enjoy
Bud