Looking for any tips/critiques of this duct plan

Old 11-03-10, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for any tips/critiques of this duct plan

Hi Folks,

I'm close to 60% complete on finishing my basement (roughed out framing/plumbing/electrical). 1986, split foyer, Pennsylvania. The heat pump is a Trane from '97, 3ton, air handler is TWE036P130A0.

I found spec's HERE.

All I can surmise is that the fan operates at roughly 1080rpm - unsure on what exactly the fan performance tables are telling me (that *can't* be the differential pressure established across the handler as a result of the blower - 0.6"WC is nothing).

I'm more than happy to relay more info from spec' sheets, etc (just have to pull them from the inside of the outside unit).

Nearly all of the duct-work pictured below was as I bought the house - I added the basement floor ducts only. Before I get ahead of myself and close off access, I'd like to see what I can do to make some improvements to airflow. The NW (top in the pictures) basement wall is fully below grade, the SE basement wall (bottom in the pictures, front of house) is 1/2 below grade FYI.

The only real 'problem' per-se is the upstairs S.Bed is difficult to maintain at a comfortable level. The same goes for the sunroom - however all three walls have large glass windows, and it's carpet directly on concrete. The basement, I won't fully know until it is fully insulated and finished off. This lower portion is intended to be a 'mother-in-law's' suite - as is such the stairwell will eventually be enclosed at both ends with doors. Generally speaking none of the registers are even close to equal airflow (some returns I can barely detect an airflow)

I'm curious to hear about the 'sub trunks' that are running perpendicular to the main trunks - is it proper to 'T' off of these at multiple points? Logic would tell me that for each and ever 'next' register, airflow will be dropping. Those registers that are directly near the main trunks or return trunks (boxxed joists) are typically tapped directly in - no takeoffs.

ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated. For instance, would it be of any benefit to replace the long flex lines with rigid? In the absolute most ideal situation, would you have *one* run per register? Where would you make improvements first?

Respectfully,
James

Lower level:

Upper level:

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-10, 05:39 PM
PS
- all ducts are at floor level except where noted.
-the trunks and 'sub trunks' (8x8) are all pre-wrapped with insulation. I have gone over nearly every duct junction and sealed them well with mastic or foil tape.
-one big problem I need to address is the upstairs M.Bed room - the supply ducts near the registers are inside the house soffits (fiberglass insulation only).

Lastly, FYI, I have it on good authority that this system was not installed by a professional.

Old 11-03-10, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You all need to do a heat load on the home so you will know how much air each room needs. Once that is done then you can size the duct correctly. Any duct included between floors should be hard pipe.

Old 11-03-10, 08:26 PM
This is done on a room-by-room basis? Are there any worksheets that you can suggest to get me started?

Old 11-04-10, 02:47 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes done room by room. Look up maneual j will cost u 50 for a trial period