code requirements for heat in bathroom

Old 11-13-10, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
code requirements for heat in bathroom

Is The inspector going to fail me if I do not heat a bathroom.
Recently acquired an unfinished do it yourself project. 8 years later with all the code changes and not always able to see what was originally planned. This bathroom is outside of the original 1940's adobe footprint on what may have once been an enclosed porch. It has a heat lamp. The remodel has passed its rough plumbing, heat, electrical and building inspections. The house has new central heat but no duct work to this one bath. The duct work for the heater runs through the attic but the attic does not go over this addition to the house. The room adjacent has central heat and the bathroom stays quit toasty without a vent. Can I put a small space heater in there for the possible ten nights a year that we have single digit weather, when I might possibly need to worry about plumbing freezing or is the inspector gonna trip. Considering putting a hole in the sheet rock and installing a vent cover like it actually leads to something that blows warm air. The temp here in southern colorado last night was in the low 20s and it really was toasty in the whole house including this bath. i was there late last night and again this morning mudding and taping drywall joints. I really dont want to have to make another hole through the 2 foot thick wall in the corner of the attic where all the electrical seems to be congregated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-10, 11:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not required by the IRC in a bathroom:

IRC R303.8 Required heating. When the winter design temperature in Table R301.2(1) is below 60F (16C), every dwelling unit shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining a minimum room temperature of 68F (20C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above the floor and 2 feet (610 mm) from exterior walls in all habitable rooms at the design temperature. The installation of one or more portable space heaters shall not be used to achieve compliance with this section.

IRC Definitions - Habitable space. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.