Air Exchanger needed?

Old 11-29-10, 12:28 PM
Air Exchanger needed?

Hello,
I have a lot of moisture still in the house. It was built 3 years ago and has no air exchanger, is a rambler with the basement finished. The uitility room is on the south to southwest corner of the house and is about 2000 sq foot on the main and 2000 in the finished basement.

We have a lot of mositure on the windows that seems to also be doing damage to the wood casing around my windows.

The room with the most need of help is also the one furthewest away from the furnace room. Sits in the NW corner of the house. It is the master bath but below the master bedroom is a closet that our ducting for the fireplace in the basement runs so there is minor access to that room as well. both are normally 5 degrees colder then the rest of the house due to there location and distance from the furnace.

Finally my questions.

Should i put more then one unit in, one for this bathroom/master bath area that always is cold and has excessive moisture. (yes we do run the fan for a good 40 minutes after shower use)?

I called up a local person to recommended an air exchanger by lifebreath. (rnc200) He said he would isntall it for 1500. I have seen it online for about half that and have some handy man skills and enjoy diy. Would you put it in yourself or hire it out?

Thanks for the help and any suggestions are always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 05:59 AM
I had a guy come out yesterday and is going to give me a quote as well. they sell lifebreath too.

His initial concern was where he was going to put the unit. My utility room isn't huge but i never thought it was small. he also didn't think he would be able to keep the exhaust and the return air the 10 feet required by code i guess but didn't seem concerned at all about it. He also didn't seem to concerned about the moisture in the room furthest from the furnace either and that this should take care of it.

I didn't get the feeling he really knew all that was going on however so i don't feel real confident in his assessment.

I am considering buying one of these and putting it in myself.

Any brands you recommend and can buy online for a rambler style house 2000 on the first and 2000sq. feet in the basement? How about sites to buy these from?

I have condensation 2-3 inches up on my windows throughout the house but the area coolest and furthest from the furnace it is 5-6 inches and constant puddles of water. If i were to try and put a vent to suck air from that room, any suggestions on how to do that with everything finished?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-03-10, 07:32 AM
I'd open a window an inch and turn on a bath fan for 24 hours before u go with the air exchanger. This might solve the issue

Old 12-03-10, 08:03 AM
That is a good suggestion. I will give that a try. Better I am checking on this now while the high today is 10 versus in a month when it 20 degrees colder.

Old 12-07-10, 11:46 AM
airman.1994 I tried your suggestion and did notice a difference in the smell when I came in the house as well as the windows for about the next 18 hours. That being the case it seems that this might be a worthwhile purchase to make to help fix some of these issues I am seeing?

Old 12-07-10, 02:48 PM
Yes it could! I'd see if the issue goes back to your normal! It could be that all you need to do is remove it like you did a few times a winter. If that's the case I would not spend the money

Old 12-08-10, 06:33 AM
It helped for about 24 hours but by then we were back to the windows being full of moisture again.

I think this being the case I am going to look at an air exchanger.

The one brand people are using heavily around here is lifebreath. One place recommended the rnc150 and another the rnc200. One other brand is Venmar. Anyone used these and have a preference?

Venmar seems very expensive. the Lifebreath it seems I could have installed for less then it would cost me to only buy the venmar unit and then I would have to install it.