Adding new furnace vent in basement

Old 12-11-10, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding new furnace vent in basement

I'd like to add a furnace vent in my basement but I'd like to do it from the bottom of the main trunk line instead of the top or side as I normally see. Is installing a vent from the bottom of the main trunk line ok? I can add the vent from the side but it would require adding corner pipes to get the vent back in position. This vent will be the first vent off of the main trunk line and will go straight down about 6' and connect to a drywall vent.

Thanks for you help.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-10, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
It depends. How big is the line? Whats on the line? How many btus? How many BTUs are you adding? You cant just do this without calculating. If not CO2 poisoning can occur.

Mike NJ

Old 12-11-10, 03:17 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If this is off the supply duct then go for it. No issues!!

Old 12-12-10, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mike, The room in question already has 3 roof vents. 2 of them being near the end of the main trunk. I'm looking at closing one of those vents and replacing it with the vent I'm proposing here which will be the first vent on the line and will be as close to the bottom of the wall as I can get it.

This brings me back to my original question. "Is installing a vent from the bottom of the main trunk line ok? I can add the vent from the side but it would require adding corner pipes to get the vent back in position."

Thanks

Paul