Creaking Heating Ducts

Old 12-20-10, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Creaking Heating Ducts

At night (and I only ever notice at night, since it's loud in the bedroom) my ducts have creaking and/or dripping sounds. They occur in very regular intervals usually around when the blower comes on and well after it goes off. I literally have to sleep with earplugs! I am not really sure where to get started with fixing this issue.

I have metal heating ducts that go through a uninsulated and unheated garage. The ducts themselves do have some insulation around them. I have gone into the garage at night, and it sounds like there are multiple places that I can hear the ducts creaking.

Would it help to add more insulation around the ducts? Or is there some other solutions I should look into?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-10, 05:59 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
This is caused by one duct not cross broken or two to light of gauge metal. you could remove the insulation and add some cross braces to the duct, then re insulate it!

Old 12-20-10, 06:24 PM
Thanks! I will try that!!

Old 12-21-10, 02:42 PM
This is probably a really dumb question. But I'm not well versed in this area at all! I have seen "duct straps" that are basically flexable metal strips that you can use to hang ducts. Would adding these every few feet along the duct be enough to act as a brace?

Old 12-21-10, 08:10 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Won't be stiff enough. I'd use drives. A drive is what holds the duct work together

Old 12-30-10, 08:36 AM
I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! In my case the duct is in a crawl space between the first and second floor. I don't think I can get to it with cutting some big holes in the ceiling. Any suggestions here? I don't understand some of your terms like "drives", do you have a link where I can learn more about duct work?
Thanks!