Remodeling home and want to redo ductwork correctly

Old 12-26-10, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodeling home and want to redo ductwork correctly

I am planning a major remodel of my home and have 3 issues regarding existing (heat and AC) ductwork that Id like to correct.
(1) The existing airflow is poorly balanced. Some rooms get too much airflow and others get almost nothing. Much of the duct work may have to be replaced so this is the time to correct the problem. Is there a program available where one can enter the room sizes and get the recommended ducts for that room?
(2) The wind noise of the existing airflow is far from quiet. I wish to make it as quiet as possible. This is partially associated with item 1.
(3) A portion of the existing ductwork runs below the low (8-0) ceiling with no attic above. I would like to learn about alternative duct systems that would enable the ductwork to be run thru holes in ceiling supports so that no ductwork extends below the normal ceiling plane. I do not mind trying a duct system that branches into a number of smaller ducts that eventually merge at vents.
I am aware that most builders use one and only one method of construction, The way I always do it. This is fine in a lot of scenarios, but in mine. I am interested in a "thinking outside of the box" solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-10, 08:45 AM
Home Ductwork Design Software

Can anyone recommend any home ductwork design software? Upon further searching it appears that the method of making ductwork distribute air evenly and without noisy dampers the system must be properly balanced. Surely there are one or more applications that can help with this.

Old 01-01-11, 04:31 PM
there are some programs that may help. hvac-calc.com. a few things to keep in mind. are you going to use the existing furnace or new one? either way if you replace any of the ductwork,you must be sure that you check the temperature rise across the furnace. this applies if you have an 80 or 90 percent furnace. this is to assure that any modifications to the ductwork do not affect the furnace operation.