Tapping into an air run for adding register

Old 12-29-10, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tapping into an air run for adding register

Can I tap into an existing air run (5-7 inch, circular supply) to add another register in the same room?
I have a cold basement living room that has only 1 small circular register in a dropped ceiling and I'd like to add another register onto the other side of the room.
My plan is to tap into that run (above the dropped ceiling tiles) and add air supply to the new register across the room.
Can I do this? Or do I have to tap into the side of the plenum?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-10, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I've done this, I think it's OK

Pros will be along shortly to correct any mistakes I've made

Old 12-29-10, 04:42 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Need to tap in to main duct! That 6 inch duct can only put out so much air so adding another run will drop it by half to the grill u have now

Old 12-29-10, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
It would be impossible to say without knowing a lot about what the airflow is like through the existing register and the rest of the house.

A lot depends on what the flow is in the duct you want to tap.
If there is enough flow to satisfy the heating load of the room you want to heat, adding another duct and balancing the flow will distribute the heat more evenly within the space making you feel more comfortable.
If however there is not enough flow to meet the heating needs you will need to run a new duct right from the furnace plenum.

One thing you need to consider is that basements are often difficult to heat because the thermostat is normally sensing the living space upstairs.
The problem is that your living activities may generate heat and you often have a greater heat loss in a basement which could cause your furnace to not run long enough to keep the basement at an even temperature.

It is most likely that running a duct from the furnace would give you the most available heat and would allow you to better balance the airflow.
It is common here after balancing air flow to add some supplemental electric baseboard heat to keep temperatures more even in a basement.

Old 01-06-11, 07:45 PM
Question

As an additional question to this thread. should i add a cold air return in the basement? i will be heating a fairly large area with new runs from the plennum trunks (from 7 - 10 new runs). I dont know if i need to increase the size of my cold air return... right now it is exactly 1/2 the size of my heat trunk. I was told somewhere that i may need to bump it out about 6 inches to add size for this new cold air return in the basement. My thought is that i will be putting the basement cold air return right next to the stack ( about 1 foot away ) and at the bottom ( right near opening to heat stack). by the way the opening from the cold air stack to the heat stack is about 16 x 25... dont know if that matters. I will be trying to heat about 1900 sq ft in basement, but i am adding additional baseboard heaters all around to supplement the heat. so after that long explaination... do i need to add cold air return in basement and if I do... will i have to increase the size of the cold air stack?? Thanking you all in advance...

Old 01-06-11, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Uh, I have an additional question.
Are you the original poster?

Not sure why you have a different member name if you are.

Old 01-07-11, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Redundant answer, forgive.

Old 01-07-11, 09:54 AM
Sorry... i will start a new thread for this. i am just a newbie here, so please forgive my stealing this thread. I was just asking a similar question... again my apologies.