dryer vent backdraft

Old 02-01-11, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dryer vent backdraft

i live in a condo. my upstairs neighbor shares the same dryer vent exhaust to the outside as we do. when me neighbor runs his dryer, most of his exhaust goes outside, but some of his exhaust gets pushed into my dryer (through my exhaust vent) and then into my condo. i hate the smell and assume it's just not healthy to breath.

any thoughts? like a dryer vent damper, but for the inside?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
That sounds totaly illegal. Is it a gas dryer? You can die of CO poisoning. Stop using the dryers asap and call the codo association. Even the fire department so you have something in writing. This is dangerous.

An electric dryer not so but still think its illegal. You are in NJ? I will look up the actual code.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 05:08 PM
Thanks Mike - I'm in Hoboken.

That said, the CO detector isn't going off and it's right next to where the backdraft is coming in.

In regard to the association, there's only 5 units, so we have to manage our issues between ourselves.

Do they make a dryer vent damper that I can attached between my dryer and the venting?

Old 02-05-11, 08:44 AM
i think this will work:

Air King BDD6 6" Round Duct Metal Back Draft Damper

Put it between the hose from the dryer and the vent....

Anyone?

Old 02-05-11, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dryer vents are usually 4" but that would probably solve your problem just as long as it wasn't too much of a restriction to the airflow while your dryer is running and cause it to overheat.

Old 02-05-11, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Again you cant do it!!!!!!!! And if you did install a damper and he runs his dryer, his exhaust may keep you damper from opening when you dry close. More CO........

Your just looking for trouble. The association should be responsable. They built the units that way. Call the local plubing inspecter and have him inspect it. Then if he fails it(which he will) take it to the association.

I dont know the answer your looking for and am not sure if its really is a concern to you but everyone in the home is at risk for CO poisoning or death.

Commercial enviroments are different and pipe is increased at the outlets to 6,8,10inch and have fan inducers at the end of the run. The dryer will not run if the inducer does not work. They are interlock. Do you have this???

Chapter 6 section 614......This is the NJ code......

New Jersey Fuel Gas Code

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-05-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I didn't catch that this was a gas dryer so I would have to agree with lawrosa. This should be brought up with the condo association as carbon monoxide poisoning could be a danger for the whole building if the dryer venting is not done properly and up to code. If you get nowhere with the condo association call the gas company and have them inspect it. If it is faulty they will condemn the vent system and shut off the gas to the dryers and the owners of the building will have to fix it.