Who installs bathroom exhausts?

Old 02-05-11, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who installs bathroom exhausts?

When I went into my attic to see how easy it would be to replace the bathroom exhaust fan, I was surprised to see (not sure why the previous owners did this) if vents into the attic not the outside. This is beyond my DIY skills. What kind of profession would I hire to both replace the broken exhaust fan and vent it to the outside (roof or soffit)? Electrician? HVAC? Any general contractor?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-11, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I imagine an HVAC guy could do it, but an electrician shouldn't be needed since it's an existing fan. A general handyman or roofer who can read instructions would be my first choice if you can't do any part of it.

If you feel ok replacing the fan itself, then get a roofer to install the vent if thats where you want it.

Old 02-05-11, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Its a mix of trades there. I as a plumber I did this type of work because of venting and roof flange knolwlage. Electricians install the fans and some do the ducting (rare)but thats probably why they did not get done because it matters who has knowlage of installing roof flanges. I have done many homes where the exhaust fans were stuffed with insulation and never exhausted for 20 years. People could not understand why all the condensation in the bathrooms.

I would say start with a plumber, then HVAC.

Mike NJ