Roof mount exhaust fan

Old 03-23-11, 08:58 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Roof mount exhaust fan

I have an outdoor BBQ area under the roof overhang, right over the grill is an exhaust fan that mounts on the roof. I believe it is a commercial fan.

Can someone help identify it? I can make out the labels.

I can see "FAN & VENTILATOR CORP" but not much else.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-11, 09:35 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof mount exhaust fan

That is a Greenheck upblast fan. Built by Greenheck Fan Corp. I don't know if i can find any of my old greeneck books or not.. I use to buy them through Michigan Air Products Saginaw Mi. Old No was 517-754-0409 or 517-754-2910 Later Paul

Old 03-24-11, 05:20 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
might be a label on the inside as well

Old 03-25-11, 05:41 AM
M
I looked all the way around and didn't see any. But I did not remove the cover to check the inside of that.

paul52446m thanks for the info!

Old 03-25-11, 06:47 AM
M
This is what is below. Is the metal "hood" part of this whole assembly or was that another manufacturer?

I need to find a replacement for the two corroded "doors" that covers the opening of the duct that goes up. Thanks!

Old 03-25-11, 10:10 AM
P
Originally Posted by MiamiCuse View Post
This is what is below. Is the metal "hood" part of this whole assembly or was that another manufacturer?

I need to find a replacement for the two corroded "doors" that covers the opening of the duct that goes up. Thanks!
Hood and fan are made from different co.. See if there is a tag on hood above the drop ceiling. Are you looking for doors or grease filters? Is that area up there a flat or sloped? If it is a proper built hood than those are grease filters.
The grease runs down the filter into that sloped Chanel and down into a grease cup at the fight end of the slop Chanel. Paul

Old 03-26-11, 02:02 PM
M
Is the door and grease filter the same? The brown color "door", there are two of them that slides left and right. I assumed they were there to stop things from being accidentally sucked up there, I can see the fan can be so strong it can suck a piece of paper napkin right up there. May be they also double as grease filters? There is a slope channel on the back that goes into a metal grease cup.

Looked everywhere no sign of any brand or model. I am unable to access the section above as it is a wood panel soffit. I am beginning to think it could be a custom job?

Old 03-26-11, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Those are grease filters..I bet they have like a honeycomb mesh in the interior? Are they corroded or just caked with brown grease and dust?

Same as the filter in an interior range hood only super size. Have you tried cleaning them? Spray liberally with a full strength Simple Green or KrudKutter...let soak and blast with high pressure water.

There may even be a nearby restaurant supply/maintenance place that would do it for a charge. Seems like a place I worked had a guy come in every week and do that?

They should be closed when the hood is operating.

I have to ask...is this your house? Darn nice cooking area!

Old 03-26-11, 04:45 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
As others have said, these are indeed common grease filters, as used in every restaurant. The panels to the right & left are filler panels, and are there to ensure adequate velocity through the filters for them to work properly. Steam cleaning is a good option. You should be able to remove them by lifting the bottom & tilting them out. BTW- Greenheck is still in business & makes very good fans. There is one exactly like that on the roof about 25' from where I now sit

Old 03-26-11, 09:40 PM
P
Roof mount exhaust fan

Is the door and grease filter the same? The brown color "door", there are two of them that slides left and right. I assumed they were there to stop things from being accidentally sucked up there, I can see the fan can be so strong it can suck a piece of paper napkin right up there. May be they also double as grease filters? There is a slope channel on the back that goes into a metal grease cup.

Looked everywhere no sign of any brand or model. I am unable to access the section above as it is a wood panel soffit. I am beginning to think it could be a custom job?
It is not a custom job, It it a standard hood, But the name is normally in the upper right hand corner. Anyway left up on the filters and take them out. Like others have said try cleaning them. You could try a good car wash. If you can't clean or the are too old and fall apart then order up some new ones.
Grainger Industrial Supply - MRO Supplies, MRO Equipment, Tools & Solutions
On the top type in grease filters search and you will find them.
The new one will be built different. On the bottom you will see contact them . Just make sure you give the the with and height so they are going the right way. The new one are like baffles instead of mesh like yours. Paul

Old 03-27-11, 07:55 AM
M
Vic, yes this is my house. Thanks!

Old 03-27-11, 08:47 AM
M
paul52446m thanks! I will double check and do some heavy duty cleaning to see if they are cleanable. Much appreciated with all the info.

Old 03-27-11, 11:48 AM
P
paul52446m thanks! I will double check and do some heavy duty cleaning to see if they are cleanable. Much appreciated with all the info.
Just watch when you put them back in or replace them, they will have arrows on the side to show direction of air flow and there might be a top and bottom to them for the grease to run down them properly. Paul

Old 03-28-11, 08:10 PM
M
I have looked at every inch of the exposed surface of this vent hood and found no brand name or logos of any kind. Even the inside surface. Nothing. Here are some more pictures.

Looking from below the hood up to the roof.

These are the grease filters shut closed.

Pretty corroded, I tried washing, not much improvements. Tomorrow I will take it apart and soak it in something and see. These grease filters are 19.5" long, 11-5/8" wide and 2" think.