HVAC Ducting Changes - Advice Needed

Old 03-26-11, 08:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HVAC Ducting Changes - Advice Needed

Hello all! This seems to be a great place...my first post here.

A little about my house. Built in 1837, heated by steam for the most part. AC unit installed about 7 years ago when we moved in. There are no steam radiators in the kitchen area, so my contractor added a 10kw heat coil about 4 years ago, which helps the kitchen stay warm. However, there are not enough vents to cover the heat loss. Also, I don't need the heat coil to provide heat to the entire house, just the kitchen area. Also, we are remodeling our kitchen this summer, and unfortunately we have to relocate a stairway...and the stairway is going down right above my main HVAC duct. So there are a few ducting changes I need to make. My air handler is a variable speed Trane 3 ton unit.

Below is a picture of the way my current system is configured, and my idea for re-ducting the system. Please note that I am:

1. Adding a manual damper to separate the front and back of the house. I don't need the heat in the front part of the house (steam radiators cover this), but I need AC everywhere.
2. Re-piping the ductwork around the new staircase (black dotted square).
3. Adding a new vent in the kitchen area.

Thoughts? Any advice? I'm pretty handy with these sorts of things, so I'm planning on doing this myself. I have visited a local HVAC supply house, and they can sell me the items I need. The supply house told me that because I have a variable speed air handler that installing the damper should be OK.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-11, 09:40 AM
P
How large are your opening ,grills. Do you know what your blower CFM are If its a 3 ton unit then you would be moving about 1200 CFM on hi for your air con. You have 10 or 11 opening now? are they 6" round? What size are your ducts going both ways You also have to make sure your returns are large enough. Paul

Old 03-26-11, 11:46 AM
J
Hi Paul,

The grills are pretty standard 5x12. The main rectangular supply mains are 14x8, and the round take offs are 7". The returns are 14x8 rectangular vents as well. Appreciate the input!

John

Old 03-26-11, 09:50 PM
P
Originally Posted by John LaPlante View Post
Hello all! This seems to be a great place...my first post here.

A little about my house. Built in 1837, heated by steam for the most part. AC unit installed about 7 years ago when we moved in. There are no steam radiators in the kitchen area, so my contractor added a 10kw heat coil about 4 years ago, which helps the kitchen stay warm. However, there are not enough vents to cover the heat loss. Also, I don't need the heat coil to provide heat to the entire house, just the kitchen area. Also, we are remodeling our kitchen this summer, and unfortunately we have to relocate a stairway...and the stairway is going down right above my main HVAC duct. So there are a few ducting changes I need to make. My air handler is a variable speed Trane 3 ton unit.

Below is a picture of the way my current system is configured, and my idea for re-ducting the system. Please note that I am:

1. Adding a manual damper to separate the front and back of the house. I don't need the heat in the front part of the house (steam radiators cover this), but I need AC everywhere.
2. Re-piping the ductwork around the new staircase (black dotted square).
3. Adding a new vent in the kitchen area.

Thoughts? Any advice? I'm pretty handy with these sorts of things, so I'm planning on doing this myself. I have visited a local HVAC supply house, and they can sell me the items I need. The supply house told me that because I have a variable speed air handler that installing the damper should be OK.

Looks like you changes will work. Around stair way use 8" then split into your two 6" runs. Your damper should work fine at that location. You just have to get the speed you want when the damper is closed. Paul