Best way to set up two attic gable exhaust fans to work together.

Old 04-11-11, 01:56 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to set up two attic gable exhaust fans to work together.

I bought a replacement attic gable fan that I intend to install on one of the two gables to force hot air out. It will have a thermostat attached and will be hard wired to a wall switch so that it won't turn on unless I flip the switch to allow it to regulate. This way if the noise bugs, then I can always turn it off. I can also leave it off when I'm away to be safer and save on electricity. Since it was only $50, I was thinking of getting another fan for the other gable as well so that I can transition the air quicker on a hot summer day during the evening when it starts to cool down outside. If I do install the second one, would it be wise to have the second fan push air in the attic or push air out of the attic? I'm thinking about the teamwork between the two fans. Wouldn't they work together better if there is an intake fan and an exhaust fan rather than two exhaust fans? Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-11, 03:22 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If you are running ac in the house, there are issues with pulling expensive conditioned air into the attic and throwing it away. If that is the case, then it would be a vote for the in/out combination. From an energy point of view, one is better than two so perhaps wait until you see how the one performs.

What do you have for current venting? If you have good soffit venting, one fan should be enough. If no other venting than the two gable vents, then more vent area should be considered as the fan will be working against a lot of resistance.

There are pros and cons for mechanical ventilation, like pulling humid air into your walls and ceiling, but as long as you aren't air conditioning, there would be little chance of condensation.

Bud

Old 04-11-11, 03:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
If you are running ac in the house, there are issues with pulling expensive conditioned air into the attic and throwing it away. If that is the case, then it would be a vote for the in/out combination. From an energy point of view, one is better than two so perhaps wait until you see how the one performs.

What do you have for current venting? If you have good soffit venting, one fan should be enough. If no other venting than the two gable vents, then more vent area should be considered as the fan will be working against a lot of resistance.

There are pros and cons for mechanical ventilation, like pulling humid air into your walls and ceiling, but as long as you aren't air conditioning, there would be little chance of condensation.

Bud
Thanks, you kind of nailed it. I will be running ac since I live in so cal and it will get to over 100 a few times in July-September. My thoughts are just with getting the hot air out in a short manner. I'm coming from a very comfortable apartment that was insulated kind of like a cave under the rest of the units to a house that will shift in temps very quickly. My memories of the last house I lived in was that it stayed moderately cool (compared to outside) during the day and then heated up to an oven at about 5:00 PM when the sun beat down on the western and southern walls. I am just hoping to bare with the hot weather until about 5:00 PM when it become unbearable. Then I may run the ac. A single person in an ac'ed house can get kind of wasteful and pricey. I'll install the first one and see how it helps. I got a temperature sensor that I will mount in there to get a remote reading to see the changes.