Cold air returns in my basement

Old 05-24-11, 08:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold air returns in my basement

I'm in the final stages of completing my basement development and I have a quick question about my cold air return. I planned for the cold air return to vent into the family room but I question if I should have it vent into the bedroom as well (they share a wall).

Is this overkill?

Old 05-24-11, 08:51 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Keep in mind that noise can travel quite easily through return air ducts. If this is not a problem then I think you are asking if both rooms should have a return air connection, and if so, the answer is yes.

Old 05-24-11, 09:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm a big believer in circulating as much air as possible so I would put them just about anywhere you can. That said, Furd is correct - air circulation also means noise circulation.

Old 05-24-11, 11:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.... With that being said, I won't vent on both sides of the wall. I would ideally like to have one more in the basement. How hard is it to vent another return?

Old 05-24-11, 02:30 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
How hard is it to vent another return?
Depends entirely on the access to the room you want to install the RA register and where the main RA duct is located. You may want to run any new returns directly to the furnace return plenum as residential installations are notorious for having inadequate returns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: