Dryer Duct Installation

Old 06-06-11, 05:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Duct Installation

Hello.

I am planning to install a dryer duct in my house, and I could use some guidance. I donít really know what Iím doing here, and I want to make sure I do things properly.

My dryer is located in a closet, in the middle of my house. The nearest exterior wall is 13 feet away. This closet previously had a vent fan, ducted through the ceiling and out of the house. I plan to remove out the old vent duct and replace it with 4Ē dryer duct.

The duct will run in the ceiling space above my kitchen, beneath the upstairs flooring.

Are there any hazards here that I am facing? Is it safe and legal to install this here?

Also, how can I support the 13 feet of duct that will run horizontally above the ceiling? I donít want to just let it rest on the sheetrock below, but I canít reach in there to install straps between the joists. Iím thinking of sliding some foam bricks underneath once itís installed.

Hereís a diagram of what Iím trying to create, and a photograph of the space where I will be running the duct. This photo was taken near the dryer, facing the exterior wall. You can see the old vent, which will be removed. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-11, 12:15 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Gas or electric dryer? If gas I might be a little concerned about using foam insulation blocks under the duct but I see no problem if it is an electric dryer.

Do not use sheet-metal screws to fasten the duct together and don't use the cloth-backed "duct" tape. Use a foil duct tape on ALL seams, even the longitudinal one. Check the dryer manual for the maximum developed length of the duct including all elbows and be sure that your run is less than the maximum allowed.

Old 06-09-11, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
To addto what furd said below, please install the proper vent material. It needs to be ridgid metal. Like what you have in your pic in the floor cavity.

Do not use that accordian style metal looking or white. Its all plastic and not to code. Even though it says dryer vent and UL listed. Its wrong. Why they allow this? I dont know.

There is some ridgid metal duct that is somewhat flexable. It dents easy, but is approved.

Like Furd say no screws, and actual metal tape.

Mike NJ

Old 06-09-11, 03:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a good, safe material I should choose to make support blocks?
Is there any other hazard to running this duct within the floor cavity?

It's an electric dryer.
Run is within specs & code.
I plan to use rigid dryer duct from HD.

thanks!

Old 06-09-11, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Support blocks? I would assume nothing flamable, but it might need ridgid support every so many feet per code.

I dont think any hazards with electric, other then fire. A gas dryer you would have CO issues if the vent ever came apart.

The longest length for any dryer is 25 ft max from what I remember.

I would need to read the code on this again. Alot of condos I worked in had the dryer vent going up inside the wall, in the attic, and through the roof. Was probably under 25ft. These had tee cleanouts installed. Any line thats vertical would need a tee to catch all the heavy lint that does not exhaust. If you did not have this, then a fire can develop. So wall space or floor space, it would seem the same.

Mike NJ

Old 06-09-11, 10:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Maybe bend inverted "V" shaped supports out of galvanized flashing. Wire the supports to the vent as you push it in.

Old 06-09-11, 11:40 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Simple wooden blocks near each joint should be sufficient. If you use five foot lengths of aluminum duct it will minimize the weight and also the number of joints.