This is asbestos, isn't it?

Old 08-10-11, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is asbestos, isn't it?

As you can see, there are four lines running from our basement into the 1st floor (and 2 go up to the 2nd floor). 2 of them appear to be wrapped in asbestos.

I intend to continue using these lines - in order to prevent disturbing them, I'm thinking about spray foaming around them with some "Great Stuff".

What concerns me is - if I have to open the walls upstairs - am I likely to find more asbestos?

Old 08-10-11, 01:27 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It is now.

The rule is, if you think it might be asbestos then it is asbestos until proven otherwise. NEVER express any opinion that something might be asbestos.

No one can look at a substance and state with any certainty that it IS or IS NOT an "asbestos containing material" (ACM) A person CAN state that based upon appearance, estimated time of manufacture or placement and usage that something is PRESUMED to contain asbestos. (Presumed asbestos containing material or PACM)

Since you HAVE stated that you presume the material to contain asbestos you must now, taking all specified precautions, obtain a sample of the material and submit it to an authorized testing laboratory for analysis to determine if indeed it is an ACM. If the test is positive then you must follow your LOCAL regulations concerning abatement. This may mean getting a permit and hiring an asbestos abatement company to remove the material.

Old 08-11-11, 02:40 AM
Hmm. Perhaps I should have this thread deleted...

Old 08-11-11, 07:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Asbestos is not plutonium. It will not kill you are make you sick if you look at it too long but the personal injury lawyers that advertise on TV and the abatement people would love you to believe that.

The real problem is long term exposure by workers.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-11-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Asbestos is not plutonium. It will not kill you are make you sick if you look at it too long but the personal injury lawyers that advertise on TV and the abatement people would love you to believe that.

The real problem is long term exposure by workers.
Yeah, actually I know this - which is why I'm thinking I can abate any possible issue by simply encasing it in foam before I close the wall up again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: