Need garage ventilation confirmation

Old 08-29-11, 09:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need garage ventilation confirmation

I have an old brick house (built in 1936) and there is a bedroom over the two car garage. In the summer, that bedroom is extremely hot and the wall unit can not keep it cool.
I believe that cause of the hot room is due to the garage being so hot from the cars and no ventilation. The wall unit fights with the heat rising from the garage.

So my question: How can i ventilate the garage at a low cost?
The garage has two doors, one to the house and one to the backyard. It also has two single car garage doors.

I thought of putting small ventilation fan in the backyard door and slightly opening the garage doors. This would slowly pull the heat out, while still providing back fill air.

If you have some recommendations for fans or another other suggestions, please ask.
Thanks.

Old 08-29-11, 10:22 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What side of the house is the garage and bedroom on? By side, I mean compass direction. If it faces south or west, you are going to get a lot of heat gain from the sun. A house that old probably has minimal insulation in the outside walls and ceiling, and probably none between the garage and bedroom.

I don't think that the cars are the problem, but you could easily check the garage temp with a thermometer both with and without the cars in it. An exhaust fan might help a little. An attic exhaust may do you more good than a garage fan.

Old 08-30-11, 06:58 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Side of house

This is an old english house so this bedroom would have been the servent's quarters off of the kitchen and above the garage. It is on the south side of the house.
The rest of the house has central air but the servant's quarters has no ventilation at all, except that a window can be open in the room.

As to insulation, you are probably right. Very little on all sides and I doubt the garage ceiling has very much. I can't tell since the ceiling has been finished in the garage.

For the temperature in the garage, I will walk out there in the evening with only one car in the garage and it's a sauna. I will crack the garage doors to try to let some heat out but since they are on the same, not much escapes. I can't leave the backyard door open since I don't want people possibly coming into the garage at night.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-11, 07:23 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I tend to agree with goldstar in that only some of your problem is coming from the garage area. Garage areas below a living space need to be and are usually well air sealed to prevent CO and fumes from passing up through the house. In that case, any heat transfer is occurring from a lack of insulation. Verify that there are no air leaks, caulk everywhere, and then consider having some cellulose or other insulation blown into that garage ceiling.

The next area is the bedroom itself. 1936 would be questionable for insulation if no one has added anything since. Sometimes you can get a look next to an electrical outlet or other penetration. Check the attic as well to see what is up there for insulation.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: