Do it yourself home mold test kit samples

Old 09-24-11, 05:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Do it yourself home mold test kit samples

Hi, I am new to this forum, and to forums period...so I'm just hoping that someone can give me some solid answers. I can give more details if needed. These pictures are of petri dishes filled with mold that is in my car!!! I haven't done the house and waiting on the boat samples to incubate. The boat is where the problem originated. My car has been growing mold on the seats everytime it rains...we are getting the front and back windshield replaced because of mayor leaks...just have to wait until next month because it costs A LOT to get glass that has to be custom cut for my BMW! I want to throw up e everytime I get in the car because of the smell! I have to drive to and from work so I've been trying to get vinegar(supposed to help surfaces not grow mold) but I believe it's in the seat cushions and in the carpet! Please let me know what kind of mold or mold(s) are growing in my car! I don't have the money to send all three tests to their lab and think our boat and home is most important because we sleep on our boat for a week or 2 at a time at the coast and lake and my home is my home! I have searched and searched through hundreds of pictures and sites on the net but nothing is telling me what i already know... How bad it can be, how to clean it, prevent it, etc. But nothing is helping identify if this is bad mold. I know all mold is unhealthy at this but I we are not in a financial situation to pay to get our house, boat and car professionally tested and/or remediated. Help please!

Old 09-24-11, 05:25 PM
J
Pic didn't post...

Sorry this is new to me. As soon as I figure it out I will get it posted. I tried posting my URL with imageshack... Any other suggestions

Old 09-24-11, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Old 09-24-11, 05:39 PM
J
Petri dish pic

[IMG]Img339.imageshack.us/img339/4060/imagetun.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-11, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 127 Posts
Well, bleach kills mold. However, if it's in the cushions, they'll most likely need to be replaced. Carpets need to be replaced too. There's nothing you can use to prevent mold except to keep things dry.
I would think replacing the windshields would be a necessity if you want to keep the inside of your BMW dry. Maybe sell the boat and/or get a less expensive car if you're having financial problems?

Old 09-24-11, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 127 Posts
Here's your pic:

Old 09-24-11, 05:46 PM
J
Try this again

Old 09-24-11, 05:58 PM
J
Yes the windshields are a going to be replaced...but not for about two weeks. We don't have financial problems but we don't want them either...especially due to mold. I think it come down to getting a rental until I can figure out if it's the really bad mold. I just can't stand the wait and was hoping someone could tell me what they thought it might be. We are getting the boat cleaned and remediated if the lab tests come back as a bad mold. If it's not a "bad mold" we will just get it cleaned professionally with borax and bleach. If we need to do the remediation(which includes a gaurantee and a CDC approved chemical barrier coating. Would you believe it's going to cost $3,000 for this...a 30ft sailboat! And we have shopped around and done a ton of research...just waiting for it to incubate...like the car petri dish. I'm 90% sure it's the same type of mold because i get the same smell every once in a while! BUT, before we do anything with the car or boat I want to find out if it's in the house. Before we found the mold we had the cushions, sails, and our luggage in and out of the house. I wash everything with vinegar now...I'm freaking out! Any guesses on the mold yet anyone?

Old 09-24-11, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Reminds me of the science experiments we did in 7th grade science years ago. There is mold in every cu inch of air we breathe. To prove it, we took petri dishes and touched different objects to the gelatin, then put them in the incubator. Pretty much all of them turned out looking similar to yours.

Old 09-24-11, 07:53 PM
J
That's what I'm hoping...that it's just every day common molds. Thanks for the post!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: