Using forced air furnace fan to circulate air

Old 10-28-11, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using forced air furnace fan to circulate air

Any ideas on how to get warm air circulation in my house. I decided to create this video as it seemed a bit much to try to explain. Thanks for your help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB9u-fTB3W4

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-11, 04:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I'm quite certain that you will not like my answer but I can state that it WILL work.

Get an axial flow blower and appropriate size of round duct, say eight inch diameter at a minimum. Mount the blower in one end of the duct and run it vertically from near the ceiling of the room where the wood stove is located all the way down through the floor and into the basement. The blower will take suction from the ceiling and blow downward to the basement. Return air will come back up the stairwell.

Downsides are that it will be butt-ugly and axial flow blowers are usually fairly noisy. It will likely be fairly expensive to run.

IF you can somehow run the main furnace return air duct all the way to the high ceiling it might work out okay. You need to have a sufficiently larger duct, probably larger than presently installed. You will still have a fairly high power cost to run that furnace blower.

BTW, those Lennox Pulse furnaces are subject to cracks in the combustion chamber. You really need to get a technician skilled in the Pulse furnace to check it out. The Pulse combustion was an interesting idea but it had more problems than solutions and they don't make it any more.

Old 10-29-11, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I'm quite certain that you will not like my answer but I can state that it WILL work.

Get an axial flow blower and appropriate size of round duct, say eight inch diameter at a minimum. Mount the blower in one end of the duct and run it vertically from near the ceiling of the room where the wood stove is located all the way down through the floor and into the basement. The blower will take suction from the ceiling and blow downward to the basement. Return air will come back up the stairwell.

Downsides are that it will be butt-ugly and axial flow blowers are usually fairly noisy. It will likely be fairly expensive to run.

IF you can somehow run the main furnace return air duct all the way to the high ceiling it might work out okay. You need to have a sufficiently larger duct, probably larger than presently installed. You will still have a fairly high power cost to run that furnace blower.

BTW, those Lennox Pulse furnaces are subject to cracks in the combustion chamber. You really need to get a technician skilled in the Pulse furnace to check it out. The Pulse combustion was an interesting idea but it had more problems than solutions and they don't make it any more.
Thanks so much for your feedback. Not opposed to that idea, except that the room that the stove is in is on it's own foundation...basement is under the main floor of house. Thanks!

Old 10-29-11, 01:38 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Turning the fan to on should work fine if the duct is sized and installed wright

Old 10-29-11, 02:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Airman, his return air duct is at floor level on the main floor and the wood stove is in a room with a cathedral ceiling. Plus, if his system is anything like is usually installed his return air duct is already too small.

Old 10-29-11, 06:27 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If that is his only return in the house then it's time for a revamped HVAC system