Installing a dryer vent in a concrete block wall

Old 02-25-12, 10:25 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a dryer vent in a concrete block wall

The article on installing a dryer vent just says to cut a 4" hole in the wall with a hole saw, but the wall I need to cut that hole through is made out of concrete blocks. I've looked high and low for a 4" hole saw that will cut through block, but no luck. There are smaller diamond and carbide hole saws that can cut smaller holes, and there are 4" bimetal saws for wood, plastic or metal, but I don't think they'd make it too far into a block before their teeth are history. Does anybody know where I can find a saw that can punch a 4" hole through block?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-12, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you will need to rent a hammer drill and bit from a tool rental business.

Old 02-25-12, 12:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Look in to renting a core drill.

Old 02-26-12, 07:55 AM
H
I already have a couple of hammer drills, but that doesn't seem like the right tool for this job. I also have a couple of air hammers with chisel bits, so making a hole in the wall is not a problem. I was hoping to find a way to do it neatly.

Old 02-26-12, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Like ray said, you need a core bit. And as hvactechfw said, they are available at rental stores. It will look something like this. I'd recommend a 4 1/4" core bit for your 4" duct.

Old 02-26-12, 08:14 AM
H
I did look into renting a core drill, but they all seemed to be designed for cutting vertical cores and as far as I could tell they all required wetting, which would make a really big mess. (It's not that I couldn't clean it up, but my wife would freak out.) What I really need is a dry-cutting core drill bit I can use with one of my drills, and a matching guide plate, so I can make a horizontal cut. I've seen these bits for sale, but they're in the $100 ballpark, which is a lot of money to make one hole, but I haven't seen anything like it for rent.

Old 02-26-12, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Work the phones. Someone will have one, most are wet/dry.

Old 02-26-12, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
yes, a core drill. By hammer drill I did not mean your run of the mill box store hammer drill. I was thinking more along the lines of a Hilti combihammer with a Core bit

Old 02-26-12, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
The one that HVACtech posted is similar to the one I used to drill a 4"+ hole through firebrick, regular brick and 6" solid concrete. I had a spline drive hammer drill instead of the SDS plus as shown. It worked well, although a little water from a sprayer would have kept the dust down, but it wasn't too bad. You might want to drill a pilot hole first so that you can drill from both sides so the back doesn't blow out.