bathroom fan exhaust routing

Old 03-04-12, 11:25 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom fan exhaust routing

Hello guys. I currently have my bathroom ceiling all torn down and am about to buy an exhaust fan with light. The bathroom had an old exhaust fan which wasn't vented. I wanted to post a drawing of what i wanted to do to vent the new fan but the forum i guess won't let me so I hope you will understand me putting it to words. Here's what i came up with. I plan on using metal (not cheap aluminum) flex tube. I wanted to connect the flex tube to the fan then run up through the floor (about 6" verticaly) into the attic. from there the flex tube will run 2' horizonally. From there i want to go down verticaly about 3 or 4 inches to my soffit. I have explored many options and this is the best i can come up with. Does anyone see any problems with this. The fan i want to get is 100cfm. My bathroom is about 75 sq feet with about 7 foot ceiling.

Old 03-05-12, 12:37 PM
R
I'm hoping this is the right section for this post. I have included a link with a picture of exactly what i'm talking about. Creative Homeowner - Dream ~ Design ~ Create.

Last edited by RUSSELLN114; 03-05-12 at 12:43 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 03-05-12, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
IMO

If you really stretch the flex out to eliminate all the corrugations... better that the the wimpy shiny flex.

Better yet would be solid metal duct with swiveling 90s.

Make sure to seal off any soffit vents about 2-3' ft on each side and direct the airflow out and under the roof. Not down towards the wall. Pay attention to the vane direction of the cover.

If possible...slope your horizontal run towards the vent...not the fan.

Insulate the duct.

Old 03-05-12, 02:01 PM
R
Thanks Gunguy. I have a brick home and this is the best that i came up with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: