ducts in attic ?

Old 03-05-12, 07:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ducts in attic ?

is it a bad idea to run ducts in the attic, even if they are well insulated ?

Old 03-05-12, 07:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That is whwre they are always run here. Here the air handlers are in the attic so no way to avoid it. Why are you asking if it is bad?

Old 03-05-12, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ducts are often run in the attic in my area.

Old 03-05-12, 07:45 PM
D
When doing research on unvented attics at buildingscience.com, they indicated that moving the insulation barrier from the floor of the attic to the roof deck made a significant difference in energy use for homes that had ductwork in the attic space. Based on the information I read there, I would avoid ductwork in the attic if possible. If it isn't possible, be sure you air seal all the connections and insulate them as best as possible. I don't think R-6 is enough. If you plan on adding blown insulation to your attic, bury the ductwork.

Old 03-05-12, 07:53 PM
C
someone told me it was bad. so i am following up on that.

my problem : my new house is pretty old. the furnace is newer. but it looks like they used the original (?) ducts. and certainly the original vents and returns. it seems to me that the placements of these are outdated. the ducts are run in the (cold 50deg) basement. vents/ducts in the floors.

i was thinking about making 1 central return, about in the middle of the 1 story house. and then running new ducts up to the attic, and new vents at the top'ish of a wall in each room. my condo had this, and it worked extremely well.

Old 03-06-12, 08:17 PM
C
no comment on my idea ?

i guess the main reason to run them in the attic is to get them out of the low ceiling basement(future man cave). but if there is a good basement solution = i am all ears.

and if i did run them in the attic, i would put much more "blown in" than i am planning thus far. to cover the ducts.

Old 03-06-12, 08:23 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Covering the ducts is way over kill. R6 ductwrap is fine. The cfm will be to grate for any teal temp difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: