Asbestos around boot

Old 04-02-12, 10:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asbestos strips around duct boot

Hi,
I have narrow strips of asbestos beteen the duct boot and subfloor at the floor registers in my house. The strips are 1/4" thick by about 1-1/4" wide and on all four sides of the boot. The house was built in the 60's and originally heated by oil, but since converted to gas if that matters.

Is there an alternate type of 1/4" thick insulation I can replace it with (and where would one purchase it), or would 1/4" plywood strips be acceptable? Each strip is held in place by a couple of nails driven through the boot and into the edge of the subfloor. I did a test on one register and was able to easily pull the nails and gently slide out the existing insulation into a waiting garbage bag with no fuss.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by cuda7; 04-02-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 03:25 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I don't know about Canada but in the US if you just think something is asbestos it needs to be treated as if it IS asbestos until proven otherwise via laboratory testing. Removal of asbestos here is often regulated by a combination of federal, state and local laws and non-compliance can be even more costly than getting the licensed abatement people on the job.

As what to replace it with, just about anything you desire. The warm air ducts do not (at least won't if your furnace is properly adjusted) get so hot as to require anything special. I would most likely use foil-faced polyisocyanurate (R-Max) board or if it is a small space then one of the aerosol foam insulations. Since you are in Canada you might be able to find board mineral wool (Roxul) fairly easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: