Kitchen exhaust

Old 06-23-12, 01:06 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen exhaust

Guys

I live in a semi-detached home and the kitchen does not have any window. However, the kitchen does have a sit-down area which has 2 windows and this sit down area also exits into my driveway. I want to install an exhaust over my gas range since we have fallen in love with Thai food recently but it does smell up the entire kitchen area and the smell stays. If I install an exhaust, is it easy to lay PVC pipes running through the ceiling into the side of the home? How do I make it look less ugly? This kitchen is on the first floor and the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor

Thanks

Old 06-24-12, 05:30 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't use PVC or flexible duct for a kitchen exhaust vent. It's a fire hazard. It must be rigid metal. Is the range on an exterior wall? If so, you just punch it straight out the back with a 3x10 rectangular flapper vent. They make them pre-sized for 2x6 and 2x8 walls, so you just cut the hole, mount the hood, then slide the vent/duct into place. If this is an island range or it's on an interior wall, you'll have to go up into the ceiling and follow a joist cavity to the exterior wall. If you have soffits you can run it inside there. You won't be able to go through joists or studs due to the size of the duct.

Old 06-24-12, 08:02 AM
L
Yes it's on interior wall and on the back of the range is the other semi-detached home. To my right is the side wall of the home but that is 20 feet away.

So basically you are saying we'll have to install a pipe out from the gas range into the joist cavity and that would run to the exterior wall which is 20 feet away. Right?

I'm not confident of doing this myself - how much do you think it'll run for a contractor to do? A very rough approximation would do (it's a frame home). Will they need to bring down any walls or just drill big holes? And do all homes have joist cavities?

Old 06-24-12, 09:33 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The joist cavity is the space between the ceiling of the first floor and floor of the second. It's either 8 or 10 inches deep (12 if you got a good contractor who exceeds code).

Basically this project hinges on which way the joists run. If they run parallel to the wall that the range is on, you should be ok running the duct through to the exterior. If they run perpendicular to that wall, then the vent will have to go to the other wall. If you have soffits above the cabinets, it doesn't matter which way the joists run because you can just put the duct inside the soffit.

Parallel:

Perpendicular:

I couldn't even give you a ballpark honestly. It depends on what the situation is. Basically theyd be cutting out drywall to run the duct, then have to patch and paint. And that's assuming there are no surprises - which there almost always are. For example if your joists run perpendicular and there is another room to the south, there will most likely be a load-bearing header beam between the two rooms. That can not be compromised by the duct without costly reinforcement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: