Venting into attic space

Old 07-05-12, 09:06 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting into attic space

I have a smaller home theatre room with a projector that heats up pretty good. I am looking into some options on ventilation. The attic space above the room is very difficult to get to. I have an attic hatch but its way on the other side of the house and would involve crawling through a lot of insulation - something I would like to avoid.

So I was thinking the easiest method would be to get a very quiet exhaust fan and vent it right into the attic. Does anyone think this would cause problems? Would only be running maybe 10 hours a week.

I do live in a cold winter climate, but I think this fan would likely only operate when it is warm out during the summer.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-12, 09:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Generally not a good idea, I'm unable to estimate how little usage it would take to make it a good idea in this instance.

Old 07-05-12, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Home theater, TV, sound systems often require ventilation fans, but they rarely need to vent to attics or exterior locations. They usually vent out the back, side, top or toekick of the built in enclosure that they are usually installed in. Their effect on the room temperature is negligible when vented to the same room they are in.

Even most server closets vent to the room, and the HVAC takes over from there.

Old 07-06-12, 10:27 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is a small room. Without projector on, hovers around 68 - with projector on closer to 80. That thing is like a hair dryer in terms of heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: