Attic Fan loses suction

Old 07-05-12, 05:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Fan loses suction

Our attic fan is a 70's style 30 inch, in the hallway. From time to time the shutters drop down, and the sound changes accordingly. Sometimes just walking under it will cause the problem. We have experimented with leaving different windows open, in different parts of the house, with and without the skylights up, with and without the attic hatch cocked open (outflow to the garage, which is open to a gable vent), etc. The attic outflow is 2 additional gable vents, 8 soffit vents, and whatever gets through a roof mount powered exhaust fan. There will soon be a 3rd gable vent installed. Any ideas on the "suction" problem? Thanks, Phil

Old 07-06-12, 01:41 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
So this is a whole house fan?

Old 07-06-12, 01:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Sounds like a whole house fan - have you looked at the fan itself? If it's spinning normally, it should be creating quite a draft to keep the shutters open.

Old 07-06-12, 02:13 PM
P
Yes, it's a whole house fan, the fan keeps spinning like normal, except the sound is a little different due to the louvers being closed, and possibly a little strain on the motor due to the louvers as well. Thanks for helping!!

Old 07-07-12, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do the louvers move freely? Is the belt slipping on the fan? Has the motor been changed, and is it blowing in the correct direction?

Old 07-07-12, 12:46 PM
P
The louvers are original, have been cleaned and lubricated, and move freely. A few years back, it wouldn't work at all, (at summer start up) so we used the swamp cooler instead. Later in the year, I went up to look at the fan and loosened the belt a tad, and has worked since. I don't recall if the louver problem existed before I loosened the belt. Could the tension of the belt be so sensitive so as to not work at all if too tight, and lose suction if too loose??? We bought 6 years ago, I assume it's the original motor. Thanks for your help!

Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: