Replacing old bathroom vent, probably non-standard

Old 07-09-12, 05:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing old bathroom vent, probably non-standard

I'm remodeling my bathroom, a 1950's pre-fabricated house. My vent fan looks different than the internet tutorials I'm seeing are showing me.

The vent fan looks like this:
July 9, 2012 5:18 PM - YouTube

If the video doesn't show it well enough, it's basically a circular duct going straight up to a vent in the roof. There's a fan inside of this duct that blows upward. The thing I'm moving in the video is a piece of cloth that's probably there to stop cold air from coming in from above.

I'm thinking I'll cut this duct about 10" up and then put my new vent in nearby on the ceiling, and then use flexible ductwork (like you'd use for a dryer) to connect it to this (not sure how the connection will go yet). But I'm just taking shots in the dark here, I'm hoping someone else here has tackled this before... has anybody here seen anything like this?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 07-09-12, 06:33 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just looks like you need to cut a square hole install fan wire then run duct.

Old 07-17-12, 07:11 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sure, seems like I panicked a bit here. The vent is 8" here, so I necked that down to 6" and then down to 4" and have hooked up a flexible duct to hook up to my new fan. Easy enough.

I do have one more question though. I am worried about cold air coming in from above. My fan is a combination light/fan (Broan 754) and the manual says,

The duct connector has a counter-balanced dampener flap. The flap will be "open" approx. 1" when duct connector is attached to housing. This design permits insulation to be in direct contact with fan/light housing...".
So, it's basically saying the dampener won't be fully closed, and I don't see anything stopping cold air from coming in through the roof in winter. Is there something I can attach to my ductwork (I guess 4", 6", or 8" round) that will act as a dampener, opening when the fan is blowing and closing when it's not?

Also, assuming that there is... it seems like the counter-balanced flap in the fan box is designed to allow hot air from the bulbs to "vent" out naturally. To me, it seems that adding a "real" dampener flap here might defeat this feature. I'm sure it's fine w/ building codes either way, since it's technically IC-rated... but how worried would you be about this-- should I make some sort of brace to stop insulation from touching this fixture?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: