Gas room ventilation

Old 07-25-12, 02:04 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas room ventilation

Guys

I just got an inspection done and one thing that stands out is the little room that has the natural gas coming in. Inspectors comment - "there should be a vent in this small room to vent out the gas meter. Copies of heating bills from the last heating season are the best measure of the heating system efficiency"

My question - there's a small door to this room - if I simply leave the door open which leads from the rest of the basement, would we be okay? I can perhaps change the door in the future and install one which has the horizontal openings like you see in fitting rooms at macys

Thanks

Old 07-26-12, 08:08 PM
L
Can anybody provide some advice on this?

thanks

Old 08-11-12, 05:48 AM
P
Gas Meter Room Ventilation Requirements
Applicant shall submit the designs and calculations, stamped and signed by a licensed professional engineer,
demonstrating that the ventilation for the gas meter room satisfies the following requirements:
1. Ventilation shall be provided in accordance with the Mechanical Code and one of the following:
A. Continuous ventilation introducing fresh air at six air exchanges per hour.
B. A combustible gas detection system, interlocked with an automatic ventilation system that will provide fresh air
at six air exchanges per hour upon activation of the detection system. The gas detectors shall be set at 20%
LEL (or 1.0% concentration of natural gas in air). The instructions for the combustible gas detection system
are found below in Requirements for Customer-Owned Equipment, note 5, pg. 8 of 8.
The formula for the gas room air exchange calculation is:
minimum fan air flow rate (cfm) = room volume (cf) x 6 air changes per hour / 60 minutes per hour
Pressure drop values (e.g. louver, screen and duct elements) must be included in the design and
calculations.
2. To ensure complete air exchange the low-fresh air intake and the high-exhaust air duct must be at opposite
corners within the room. Exterior louvers shall be in a low-fresh air and high-exhaust air configuration as far apart
as practical and ensure no recirculation. The bottom of the high-exhaust air louver will be over the travel way at
least 6 above the finish outside grade.
3. Mechanical fans and all other electric devices must be explosion proof and meet the requirements of the NFPA-70:
National Electric Code for Class I, Division 1, Group D locations.
4. Mechanical fans and detection equipment must be continuously monitored in case of failure. Alarms for trouble
and failure must be installed in accordance with NFPA-72, National Fire Alarm Code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: