Fan belt for whole house fan

Old 07-29-12, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan belt for whole house fan

I am looking for replacement fanbelt for a "Crystal Aire" whole house fan, model VP-30. Motor is 115 volts, 1 phase. Seems this fan is no longer made, but I am looking for the proper replacement belt.

Also, has anyone had experience replacing these belts. Rolling belt off is not the issue, but putting thenew one on seems difficult due to structure of fan housing and motor. Thank you for any help available.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 05:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Most of the time it is just a generic V belt. Once up on a time most hardware stores sold a large selection of replacement V belts. I'm sure some still do. You might also try an auto supply house especially a non-chain. Just bring the belt with you.

but putting thenew one on seems difficult due to structure of fan housing and motor.
Usually you have a way to loosen the motor so it slides closer. Can you post a picture? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 07-29-12, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 263 Votes on 238 Posts
I don't know your fan specifically but when the belt on my parent's whole house fan broke I just replaced it with an automotive one. Key is having the old belt. I just took it to the auto parts store. They had a mat on which they placed the belt and it told them what size it was or at least got them close.

Old 07-29-12, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Automotive belts come in 1" sizes [40",41",42", etc] If you don't have the old belt you can take a string/rope and connect the 2 pulleys with it and then measure the length.

Old 07-29-12, 07:06 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you really can't figure out how to get the old one off then cut it and replace it with an adjustable Link Emergency v-blet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2275[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-12, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
I have never used one of those emergency belts. How well do they hold up? I have a home made, belt driven irrigation pump that is very hard on belts.

Old 07-29-12, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
PD, misalignment is probably the #1 reason for early belt failure. Can you adjust the motor or pump to make sure the alignment is as good as possible?

Old 07-29-12, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I only use them if necessary... However, I have heard that they will hold up well if sheaves are lined up properly.

Old 07-29-12, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Belt alignment is definitely a problem and I think length as well. I have to purposely miss-align the pump and motor to get proper tensioning on both drive belts. There are some photos in this thread.

If you've ever watched the British TV show Scrapheap Challenge (the predecessor to the US Junkyard Wars) you can get an idea how this pump came about. It started life as a wonder tool. A powerhead and various attachments; chipper/shredder, roto tiller, snow blower, plow. I'ts on it's second engine and the only piece remaining of the original machine is the battery holder which has no purpose in life with the current pull start engine. I can't remember where I got the donor pieces for the engine's pulley but I can remember welding several things together and doing a fair bit of grinding.

I suppose if I properly wanted to fix it I could get off $30 and buy a proper double pulley but where's the fun in that.

Old 08-11-12, 06:22 AM
PD, Try installing what is known as a "drive belt" for your pump. They are specially built for demanding loads with a high tensile layer that prevents stretching. I had an application years ago that ate standard fan belts about twice a month. The drive belt I finally purchased was never replaced again. Your wallet will not like the much higher price tag, but in the long run, it will save you money/frustration. Graingers and most bearing supply houses can supply drive belts.

Old 09-11-13, 05:50 PM
Did you figure out how to get the belt off the fan?? I'm having the exact same problem... I know this is an old thread, but this is the only forum post I've seen that addresses this! Help!

Old 09-12-13, 12:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 412 Votes on 387 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You don't have to respond to an existing thread. You can start your own. Old threads are primarily for reading and reference.

There should be four bolts holding the motor to the fan frame. If you loosen those bolts the motor will slide.