Increase height of Return Air Duct

Old 08-20-12, 05:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Increase height of Return Air Duct

My return air ducts are in wall/between studs, non ducted, not sure what the term would be, but it is basically just using the space between the walls for the returns. . . So I have a room that has a return air duct near the floor, the room is adjacent to a two story room, so heat just flows up from that room to the open side.

What would be the good/bad/harm of me moving the return from the near the floor location to the near the cieling location? About half the returns in the house are near the floor with the others near the ceiling.

If there isn't much harm, anything I need to do to the inside of the walls to make this functional? Or do I just cut a hole in the wall directly above the old one, then patch the old vent?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-12, 06:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What would be the good/bad/harm of me moving the return from the near the floor location to the near the cieling location? About half the returns in the house are near the floor with the others near the ceiling.
In general, lower returns increase heating efficiency and higher returns increase cooling efficiency.

A more detailed description of your current setup would help us gain some focus. Pictures might be especially helpful. See How To Put Pictures In Your Post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: