What is this thing called?

Old 08-28-12, 08:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this thing called?

I want to install a new range hood, vented to the outside, to replace one that is not vented. The range is against a wall that is perpendicular to the outside wall. I want to use the 3" by 10" vertical path to go through the cabinet that the hood will be attached to. That should minimize the lost usefulness of the cabinet. At the top of the cabinet I want to continue the duct with the 10" side against the top of the cabinet. It is less than 5 feet from the center of the range to the outside wall. What is the twisted or warped elbow that I need called? If it is a specialty item, where can I get one?

This is important because we do not want the duct to be visible above the cabinet. I can't believe I'm the first person to face this problem, so the thing probably exists. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-03-12, 10:35 PM
A
not sure what you mean but there aren't too many components to a vented range. it is basically:

1. range hood with a fan
2. take off boot (that can be added or comes with the hood) that gets attached to either a straight or 90 degree elbow round duct (usually 6" in diameter)
3. for straight duct (vented via roof), it is connected to a roof cap. for 90 degree elbow duct (vented to the side), it is connected to a wall cap.

that is pretty much it. if this was not the answer you were looking for, maybe attach a photo or a drawing?

Old 09-04-12, 06:41 PM
C
compound elbow probably not available and this might be why

I can run the 10" x 3" duct through the cabinet with the wide side close to the wall. I can add an elbow at the top of the cabinet so the opening points into the room and the wide side is against the top of the cabinet. That elbow has a radius of a little over 3". Then I can add an elbow with a radius a little over 10" so the wide side of the duct is against the top of the cabinet and the opening faces the outside wall, but the duct is a few inches away from the interior wall. From there it is a straight run to and through the outside wall. This would work and the duct would be out of sight because of the crown molding to be applied at the top of the cabinet. I was looking for a piece similar to the two elbows together. It would give me smoother air flow and would keep the duct closer to the back of the cabinets. After a few more days of searching I have not found such a compound elbow. So I suspect it does not exist. It finally dawned on me why there is no such part. I might need a short section between the elbows so the duct will hit the outside wall between the studs.

Old 09-04-12, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I just installed what you are looking for can be kit can be got almost anyplace, I got mine either at orange store or lowes. You will find the vent size to be much bigger than you want I think it was 6 inch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: