adding celing to basement, best way to fix vents?

Old 08-31-12, 02:11 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding celing to basement, best way to fix vents?

First time poster, long time reader!

I am adding a drywall ceiling to my basement, which is now almost finished. The current ductwork is inbetween the floor joists. Currently, the builder of my home cut 3 ~4x10(ish) holes in the 7" and 6" ducts going to the first floor rooms and hung a 12" box from this hole and stuck a vent on the end.

After reading, this apparently was the wrong way to do this to begin with as it should have taken away airflow from the 1st floor. To test this i have opened the vents completely and the first floor still recieves plenty of cool air to keep the temperatures where they need to be.

My question is, after adding the drywall, can i just remove the 12" box and put the vent directly into the duct pipe? I think I can because its already done like this and isn't taking much airflow from the first floor, and they are in perfect positions already.

Alternatively I can go to the Plenum and add a new 6" duct for the purpouse of adding a vent to a tiny bathroom and 2 vents into the main basement area. I would have to seal up the holes cut in the current ductwork.

This would be quite a bit of work for such a simple task, and everything is working fine now with the holes aready cut out to feed the basement. I wont be adding any new vents or anything, just keeping it the same as is.

Thoughts?

Old 08-31-12, 02:31 PM
C
Here is a picture for reference. I have been unable to find anything about this particular instalation question though it seems it would be pretty common (unless this is just wrong to do)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...829_210006.jpg

Old 08-31-12, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yeah, looks like he was anticipating a drop ceiling. You need something to attach a flat vent to a round duct but not one that long.

Old 08-31-12, 02:52 PM
C
Anything I can do with this that would fit the .5" of drywall and maybe a little buffer room betwen the joists? I dont think anything longer than 1-2" would work and HD or Lowes didnt seem to have anything that would work.

Can I just cut this box down to size?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: