HELP...Can't remove old Bathroom exhaust fan housing

Old 09-11-12, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP...Can't remove old Bathroom exhaust fan housing

Can anyone help me out - we want to replace an old extremely dusty bathroom exhaust fan/light combo in our mid 1980's built condo. There is no attic access from the attic to that area of the ceiling. We got everything out except the housing. I don't see any screws except for the one the the electrical wire wraps around. I read online that some of these may have springs that are hooked into the sides and the box should pull down. It doesn't move much at all. I took my screwdriver and attempted to apply some pressure to bend the metal around a bit hoping to see an access point to get the thing out but I can't find anything or make any real progress. You can see in the pics where I pried the center circular area to try to get it to pull out but - it's not coming out. Can anyone shed some light? What am I doing wrong or missing? As you can see from the pics it's quite dusty and old - looking forward to the new one...If I can ever get the old one out!
Name:  IMAG0397.jpg
Views: 24462
Size:  27.8 KBName:  IMAG0398.jpg
Views: 22820
Size:  23.7 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-12, 06:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I read online that some of these may have springs that are hooked into the sides and the box should pull down
That applies to the grill which you have already removed and isn't really relevant to your question.

I have seem them just place against a ceiling joist and nailed to it. Do you see any nails in the side?

Old 09-11-12, 07:27 PM
I can"t see any screws - wherever it's attached it is hidden

Old 09-11-12, 11:35 PM
Your fan housing might have a pair of mounting rails/tracks that are nailed to your ceiling joists.

you will need to trim away additional drywall to see if that is true.

if space allows, you can buy and install one with a larger housing. if you don't want to do that, you will need to patch up the drywall.