Will moving a cold air return vent to, help improve heat in isolated room?

Old 09-22-12, 07:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will moving a cold air return vent to, help improve heat in isolated room?

We moved into a 1950's home that has a 10' x 10' 4 season porch attached to the original exterior wall. It has since been completely insulated and finished, and is open to the main home via the original doorway, and the door is permanently removed so air can flow between rooms(somewhat). When we purchased, there was a supplemental plug-in heater out there.
We live in MN(cold), and there is no venting in the 4 season porch. On the wall that adjoins the 4 season porch, there is a pretty powerful return vent. If I flip the direction of the return vent so that it 'sucks' air from the floor of the 4 season porch instead of from the main body side of the house, can I expect significant improvement in the heating of the porch area? I.e., will it 'suck' enough cold air from the floor of the somewhat isolated room so that warmer air (presumably rises) from the adjoining house will clear the 15" header and help heat the room? Am I hoping for too much- Do I need to add a heating vent (a much larger project considering the heat vents are located on the inside of the house). Or should I consider baseboard heating instead?

Any insight is appreciated, and thanks for your time!

Jim in Minneapolis.

Old 09-22-12, 12:55 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum,
I love a porch, but they were rarely created to be well insulated. I'm thinking lots of glass, but I'll wait for your description. Also, what was done underneath for insulation and air sealing?

As for just moving the return, I would expect minimal results. Letting the fan run continuously might help a bit more, but the answer is to block the cold and add some heat.

Give us a full description of the insulation in the walls , ceiling, and floor and we will go from there.

Bud

Old 09-23-12, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
I agree with Bud. Adding a baseboard heater would likely be easier, give you better results, and make the room more comfortable.

Old 09-24-12, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
It might help but the best answer is to run a vent out there so heat is being supplied directly, like all of the rest of the rooms in your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: