No force to the upstairs for heating/cooling...

Old 09-24-12, 08:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No force to the upstairs for heating/cooling...

I have central air/heat, and the upstairs of my house barely gets any cool air, as the force of the A/C and heat is very low. The downstairs manages to stay okay. I have closed off a bunch of vents in order to try to force it up better, but no luck.

Also a related question... I have a bunch of vents in my house that are normal registers (can be open/closed) and then I have a bunch of vents that are always open and don't have a close mechanism. I'm not sure if this is by design or what... but I'm curious to know what they do.

Thanks for any help, I'm a neophyte at anything related.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-12, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
Are the always open 'vents' you refer to actually vents or are they the returns? Typically, the returns do not have dampers.

When you closed vents, did you notice an increase in the airflow upstairs or no change at all? Has it always been this way or is this new behavior?

Old 09-24-12, 08:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as I've lived here it's been the same... no real force. I didn't notice it because we moved in March, and the weather was temperate, so the heating isn't as needed as the A/C because the upstairs gets a lot of natural light and heats up... insulation seems to be good as well.

I'm not sure if they are returns or not... I have one open vent right next to a register in many rooms of the house. In some rooms I have a 'vent' that is above the register, like in my family room. It's something I hadn't seen before, I had only ever seen regular registers and no 'vents'. What is the purpose of them? I feel air coming through them when the HVAC system is running.