whole house air cleaner

Old 10-14-12, 06:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whole house air cleaner

Would getting a whole house air cleaner help with allergies? Do these cleaners actually remove a lot of dust? We don't dust very often, so that is probably the issue. Would getting a whole house air cleaner be a good substitute for dusting all the time? Or would it be at least noticeably helpful?

We have a forced air furnace. If I understand correctly, the whole house air cleaner gets attached to the furnace ducts somehow? The furnace probably already helps with the dust, but I don't see how the whole house air cleaner can do much better, unless it has a ton of power to suck in the air.

Also, which would be recommended? I found this one on google: Aprilaire Model 5000 Whole-House Electronic Air Cleaner &#124 Rated #1

Old 10-14-12, 06:58 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I recommend getting a 4" filter cabinet. Then using a MERV 16 filter. Healthy Climate (Lennox) makes the merv 16 filters. Do you have room at the furnace to have a filter cabinet or electronic air cleaner (EAC) installed?

Old 10-14-12, 07:33 AM
S
yes I am pretty sure I have enough space for a filter cabinet. I just googled what that was.
So are your saying that an electronic whole house air filter does not increase the airflow to pick up dust in the house? The best I can do is get a better media filtering system?

Old 10-14-12, 08:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
no it does not increase air flow. Electronic air cleaners work well, but they must be maintained at least every 30 days or less to actually be effective. The AA 5000 is a combination unit that has electronic and media filter. You must use only an OEM filter for that unit.

Old 10-14-12, 06:54 PM
B
You might try having someone look at your duct work to see if it needs to be cleaned also have a look inside of your furnace to see if there is any mold or if the evaporator { indoor } coil is dirty My money says the return air duct is dirty and needs cleaning

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: