aux venting

Old 10-14-12, 04:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aux venting

I have installed some aux ducting to help spread some of the heat through out the house from the wood stove. I planned to use and purchased (recommended at local menards) a suncourt ductstat to trigger the booster fans once it starts to warm up. I have everything installed and and ready to run it but the ductstat would not work. I have plugged the fans in and all that works correctly. I have even taken the ductstat out and tried it, just bad from the box. What I'm getting at is after reading the reviews the ductstat is just junk. Looking for ideas to trigger the system automatically once it warms up. Thanks in advance

Old 10-14-12, 04:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
you want it to turn the fans after a room heats up or after the ductwork heats up?

Old 10-14-12, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
Any "close on rise" thermostat will work for your application. One thing you have to keep in mind is where to install it. It can't be in your new duct work or if it was it would have to be very near your wood stove because the duct would never get warm unless the fan started. Those Ductstats are ok for what they are.

Old 10-14-12, 04:07 PM
M
I have a large square intake vent in the ceiling about 2 feet from the stove so the original plan was to have the duct stat mounted on top of that so once some heat got into the intake vent it would turn the fans on and push/pull the warm air to the rest of the house.

Old 10-14-12, 04:10 PM
M
Would you recommend me just exchanging the bad ductstat I got? I was just looking for something with a better history after I read the reviews. Main reason is laziness, where the thermostat would be is a pain in the attic with about a 3 foot vertical area to move around, that's in the peak.

Old 10-14-12, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
You may just have to mount a thermostat in the room (not necessarily in the duct system) since you aren't dealing with a very large differential. Possibly on the ceiling above the wood stove.

Old 10-14-12, 04:33 PM
M
Name:  ducting.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  7.8 KB
Here's a really bad diagram of what I was doing, I know its easier for me if I can see whats going on. The black is the wood stove, the dark gray is the flex tubing and 2 t's, light grey are the vents (square intake and round outputs)and the red is where I planned to put the ductstat.

Old 10-14-12, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
You are putting ductwork in a cold attic. It may take a long time of gravity fed air into your louver to activate a thermostat in the attic. You're concerned with air temp at ceiling in the room with the wood stove. That's where the t'stat would need to be.

Old 10-14-12, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For ease of plug and play I would use the duct stat. Otherwise you will have to first decide if you want to use a low voltage thermostat or high voltage. Low voltage would require a transformer and a relay. High voltage would only require a connection box and for it to operate on 120VAC.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: