Need Fresh Air in Kennel and Office Building

Old 10-24-12, 03:13 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Fresh Air in Kennel and Office Building

Hi,

I have a boarding kennel and had a heating/cooling unit installed about a year ago. The guy said it would take care of smells, etc, but - of course - it does not. It is a duct-less system with two heads in two different rooms (1000sqft and 700 sqft). It heats fine and cools "okay," but the air gets stale really fast. The same is the case for my office/playhouse building which is a one room building (1000 sqft). It takes just a few hours for the air to be noticeably bad with a humid/stenchy smell. The office has portable plug-in heaters and a wall air conditioning unit.

Is there any way to have the buildings smell good consistantly? At this point I'm assuming it is just a lack of air flow, as in, right now I'm freezing to death in the office because I have all the windows and doors open to air it out. There is no efficency this way, though. The same with the kennel building.

What do I need to do? The guy who installed the heating/cooling system will no longer answer my emails. Go figure. I just need my business environment to smell relatively nice when customers come in to drop off/pick up, and when potential clients go on a tour of the facility. I've tried disinfectants but you just smell this over top everything else. Doesn't solve the problem of a lack of fresh air.

why1942

Old 10-24-12, 04:06 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
My first thought is to install HRVs in both areas but this is not going to be a cure all. You might also look into a carbon room air cleaner. But to get a good unit is going to cost thousands. But it really sounds like you need to get a engineer in there so they can see exactly how much fresh air you need to help with the odor.

Old 10-24-12, 06:53 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fresh Air

Well, I just read through this article and it appears as if I have 1/3 of the solution already done - the HVAC system. The problem is, the installer either didn't know (I doubt it) or didn't bother to explain the need for the other 2/3 solution I needed.

Apparently I should have in the system an appropriate balance of ventilation, which the kennel and office building simply do not have at all. The third component is filtration, which the HVAC system has only a simple filter that I wash off every month or so.

Since I live in a somewhat mild climate area, maybe I don't have to worry too much about energy conservation. I've been sitting here in the office for an hour or more now with the window cracked and the temperature has not dropped a single degree, but I know it is colder outside than it is inside.

I think in the kennel I need a mechanical air intake, and then I can use the air exhausts to exchange the air and then just find a balance that works to keep the temperature at a steady rate.

I guess I just never realized this process was being done in all those office buildings I used to work in.

why1942

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: