Ductwork Insulation???

Old 11-07-12, 09:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ductwork Insulation???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering wrapping the duct work with insulation. The ductwork is in the unfinished basement of a 20 year old two-story house. The basement is a walk-out so about 1/3 of the walls are framed and insulated with r-11 fiberglass batt insulation with the rest of the walls being the concrete foundation walls. There is no drywall covering the framed walls-just the insulation. I don't think it's very air tight, althought there are no obvious drafts.
We keep the ductwork vents in the basement closed in an effort to direct more of the heat upstairs to the main living areas.--The furnace is only about 6 years old and is inspected annually. The heat we get coming out of the registers in the main living areas, however, is only slightly warm to almost cool, especially in the upper 2nd story. The upper 2 story living area is 2700 sq feet and the basement is 1500 sq feet
Would wrapping the basement ductwork improve things significantly to offset the expense of doing it?
Would keeping the vents in the basement open help to keep the ductwork a little warmer to the touch, even if the basement is not as airtight as upstairs?
Any suggestions from all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by billyg1954; 11-07-12 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-12, 06:42 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Insulating the basment duct will not help any. Keeping vents open will help heat up the floor.

Old 11-10-12, 06:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue in my four level townhouse and wasn't really getting a lot of "hot" air to the rooms upstairs. I spent a Saturday with a roll of aluminum duct tape and taped up all of the seams on all of the ductwork in the basement. I also sealed off every part of the furnace and insulated the main pipe coming off the unit (I used that sticky roll on foil insulation). It actually made a huge difference in the heat upstairs. I'm not sure but I think that if you have minor leakage you don't get the same heat coming out because the air is moving slower and has a bit more time to cool. A roll of tape is around $15 - I'd try that first and see if it helps before going to the expense of the insulation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: