Should ducting be attached to framing?

Old 11-26-12, 06:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should ducting be attached to framing?

Hi, I'm installing 6" rigid ducting for a Broan Best range hood. It has to run 13' across the kitchen in one of the bays between ceiling joists before it vents to the outside. Should I use some kind of strapping to hang the ducting from the subfloor above? I was thinking it might rattle or make noise if just resting on the drywall or touching the joists. I have not hung the drywall yet, so I have access to install by whatever method is best. Thanks!

Old 11-26-12, 07:18 AM

yep......it should be supported along its length.....keeping it off the drywall.

And don't forget to seal all the joints and elbows......using foil tape only.

Make sure the outside vent cover has a damper and screen of some sort.

This will keep out the cold and prevent any birds from nesting inside the pipe.

Old 11-26-12, 11:29 AM
D
thanks!

Thanks so much. Do people just use tie wire and hooks or is there a particular kind of strapping that is typically used?

Old 11-26-12, 12:41 PM

You can use metal strapping used for non-copper plumbing.....comes in small rolls.....has holes in it.

Or use 2x2's or 2x4's cut to length to fit snuggly in between the joists.....screwed into place.

Old 11-26-12, 01:53 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi damcs,
What is the CFM on your new fan? Some of the larger kitchen fans can create backdraft issues with combustion appliances so just want to be sure you are aware of that potential.

Bud

Old 11-26-12, 02:06 PM
D
Halton, Thank you for the info. I will look again - didn't see strapping in that aisle at HD when getting the ductwork.

Bud, thanks for the tip. It's only 450 cfm I think. I'm a little concerned about the length of the run with elbows. We have a gas cooktop with electric oven, but don't do a great deal of cooking.

Old 11-26-12, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I think for an exhaust fan I might use the plastic strapping. Will help isolate any vibrations to some extent. Since heat isn't an issue why use the more expensive metal strap? I do agree that sealing the duct is important. Also make sure to clean the grease filter regularly. If you stay on top of it, you can just throw it in the dishwasher.

I agree with Bud as well. I normally open my kitchen door or window slightly to help with the draft when I'm cooking.

Old 11-26-12, 02:13 PM
D
Got it. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Old 11-26-12, 04:40 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
HVAC Support Webbing
Hope link worked. Posting from phone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: