Venting a hot water heater in a garage.

Old 03-05-13, 10:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting a hot water heater in a garage.

Hi,
So we bought our house about two years ago and I have slowly been taking over our two car garage and turning it in a work shop (much to my wifes dismay ). The only thing located in the garage as far as utilities goes is the gas hot water heater. Now I know that it is required to have to vents, one high and one low for air circulation. Both vents exist and both pull and vent outside on an exterior wall.

The best I can guess is the top vent draws the warm air out, and the low vent pulls cool air in creating circulation?

Since I do a lot of wood working and and the occasional bondo job I create a lot of dust. I was considering adding a fan to the top exterior vent to try and draw dust out of the garage (and the occasional fine cigar smoke). Would this create any unwanted issues with air circulation for the hot water heater?

I don't know if to much air circulation would be bad. I don't plan on it being some industrial strength fan. More along the lines of ones installed in attic gables.

My other concern is with it is the fact that the vents for air circulation are located about a foot and a half away from the exhaust vent that comes out of the top of the hot water heater. I wouldn't want to disturb any natural induced exhausting of poisonous gas out the top.

Thank you!
matt

Old 03-06-13, 10:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Negative pressure is a big concern. You will need to have make up air so you do not pull the CO into the room

Old 03-06-13, 11:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,268 Upvotes on 1,208 Posts
I don't think this fan would do much for you in the first place unless it could draw air from somewhere on the other side of the room to flow across the area where you are creating the materials you would like removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: